Dextrose ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I see very few post here about dextrose. When I searched it, I had the most recent comments about it back in 2016. I was out Friday, and needed some. I drenched a calf, with Gatorade, and added some sugar. Had better results, than I normally see with dextrose. Calf was flat to the ground. Dehydrated from scours. What I would have thought was a prime candidate for dex. Who uses it, and who doesn't?

We have never used dextrose. Thanks for the info. On the gatorafe/sugar. Will try that if we have a problem.

24oaxir.jpg

Re-sorb is differently the better option than straight dextrose. Simple sugars with pickle juice is actually another option.
Dextrose and glucose are simpler sugars compared to fruitos or sucrose sugar, so they get asorbed faster.

ALACOWMAN":3gjkhqrh said:
Used gatorade on roping calves years ago, for dehydration...

This was a tie down calf, but hadn't been chased in a week or longer.

I use it IV on just about anything that's really run down but haven't had to in quite a while. It adds a whole lot of life and try when those are in short supply.
One of the best dairy herdsman I've ever dealt with told his crew that anything that got treated for anything got an IV bottle of dextrose... Period.

sim.-ang.king":13eh0njs said:
Re-sorb is differently the better option than straight dextrose. Simple sugars with pickle juice is actually another option.
Dextrose and glucose are simpler sugars compared to fruitos or sucrose sugar, so they get asorbed faster.

If your going to live in our country, you could at least learn the language. :D

cow pollinater":2zbejqsx said:
I use it IV on just about anything that's really run down but haven't had to in quite a while. It adds a whole lot of life and try when those are in short supply.
One of the best dairy herdsman I've ever dealt with told his crew that anything that got treated for anything got an IV bottle of dextrose... Period.
When I was milking cows I put many bottles of dextrose in the vein. Works wonders. It's an instant pick me up. A cow that would barely even have the energy to try to get up would pop up and get started eating and drinking water.

Bigfoot":64rj9aiv said:
sim.-ang.king":64rj9aiv said:

If your going to live in our country, you could at least learn the language. :D
Y'all give them some of that there cane squeezin, with a shot skim off da top of the pickle barrel.