Dexter calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
My Dexter delivered her first calf a little over a week ago and she is adorable - I must say. Anyway, I will need to sell her eventually and was wondering, since this is the first cow I have ever sold, if anyone knows what the going price is nowadays for a purebreed Dexter? I bought her mother for $800.00 a few years ago and that included the transfer fees and vet. Any insight would be greatful. Thanks.

Kerry":29nkwik7 said:
My Dexter delivered her first calf a little over a week ago and she is adorable - I must say. Anyway, I will need to sell her eventually and was wondering, since this is the first cow I have ever sold, if anyone knows what the going price is nowadays for a purebreed Dexter? I bought her mother for $800.00 a few years ago and that included the transfer fees and vet. Any insight would be greatful. Thanks.

Look at various dexter website, there are bunches of them available. You could look at the dexter association webpage and look at your areas members, they can also be a good source of data.
Typically around here Dexters sell for as much or more by the head as full sized cattle.Not unusual (unfortunatley for me since I'm trying to get a couple of steers) for yearlings to sell for a thousand bucks or more.

dun

Kerry, Dexter prices can vary by region, breeding, color, horned/polled, etc. You shouldn't have too much trouble selling your heifer after she's weaned as they seem to be quite in demand (at least here).

If you go to the ADCA website (http://www.dextercattle.org) you can click on "News" and scroll down to locate regional directors. I believe Roberta Wierenga is listed as the new regional director for Michigan. She may be able to advise you on this. Also, if you want to get those Dexter websites (Yahoo groups) that Dun mentioned, you can p.m. me and I'll send them to you.

Dun, did I read that right, you are looking for Dexter steers? :eek:

Gale Seddon":1v7hn0li said:
Dun, did I read that right, you are looking for Dexter steers? :eek:

Correct, horned dun or red. It's that or get Holsteins again for oxen.

dun

Welcome to the fun world of dexters.

For calves prices I sold a couple of black heifer calves for about $ 400.00 for calve. They were not registard. You should not have any trouble selling your calf. Is she a long legged dexter or the short legged?

Watch out once you get one more and more start to show up!

Latest posts