Dewlap

Help Support CattleToday:

Never heard that one. Maybe someone meant that Brahman influenced cows make good mothers-which in my experiences with Beefmasters, they do. Other than that I've not heard this.

Don't know why other then maybe what r9 said. BTW, the dewlap is different then the "navel flap"

dun

OK....I got lost somewhere... is a dew lap, and a brisket the same, or a dew lap and navel flap? I thought if a heifer had a navel flap it was because I didn't dip the navel cord well enough and it got a little bit infected resulting in a flap of skin rather than a clean belly line?

Dee":14dc2a7r said:
OK....I got lost somewhere... is a dew lap, and a brisket the same, or a dew lap and navel flap? I thought if a heifer had a navel flap it was because I didn't dip the navel cord well enough and it got a little bit infected resulting in a flap of skin rather than a clean belly line?

The dewlap is the loose skin hanging below the neck and brisket.

Everybody that I know lets nature take its course concerning navels, and with fine results.

Some breeds, particularly bos indicus influenced cattle tend to have more of a navel flap. AAlthoug I'veseen Gelbvieh with a lot of flesh. I discussed the treating of navels with the vet a couple of years ago. He had a study done at dairys that pretty much came up no significant difference in navel problems (navel ill, etc) from those that had the navel/umbilical treated with iodine. It was thought that the main difference in health between the two groups was the additional care that was common in the herds that did dip navels. If we catch a calf when it's first born we'll dip the navel. Usually the cow lilcks/sucks the iodine off as soon as we turn the calf loose. We haven't had any navel problems for years except those that were born from prolapsie cows that had been stiched up a month or more before calving.

dun

I don't know about other folks' cows but with our Longhorns I see the mamas routinely licking the navals on the newborns. As of yet, we've never had one get infected.

Rustler9":1z5lw6pa said:
I don't know about other folks' cows but with our Longhorns I see the mamas routinely licking the navals on the newborns. As of yet, we've never had one get infected.

I had a heifer suck on the cord one time. She caused the darn thing to rupture.

Scotty

Latest posts