Developing bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
I saved a bull calf this year. My vet says in his ration making program there is a program for just bulls. It this just something to really push them on test? Not sure how Im going to background my calves yet. Usually go with ground hay, distellers of some sort (considering dry over modified) and corn. Something like a 14/45 ish. I want to keep the bull seperate from the rest....breeding heiffers. So Im thinking about just using a grain mix on him. Always shot for about 14% and feed 5# plus all the hay he could handle is what I did with calves before I went to a TMR for them. Where Im going to use him for myself Im not super concerned about ADG etc vs having him fall apart. On the other hand I want him to get as much potential as I can to see what he will pass on. The other option is taking him to a guy that sells bulls. Not sure if he would take mine in or not. This guy and my vet do a swap thing. So he developes 2 bulls a year for my vet in trade for summering some of his bulls I guess. This guy would have a better buy on MWDG, but would have to pay yardage and etc. Plus he likes to push the heck out of stuff. Which would show my bulls potential or non-potential, but then Id have to deal with 2 year old diease.

So you guys that raise bulls.....what do you shoot for?

Thanks

Shoot for? A bull that's grown out enough to breed at 15 months but not fat. It's tricky. I do buy a special bull feed that was worked up by a beef nutritionist in the area. Largely wheat mid and soy hull based. Leans heavy on protein and fiber and less on short chain carbs. They get it "free choice" but I put various amounts of salt into it to limit their intake depending on the quality of hay I have in front of them. There will be some that might still get a tick heavy on it - if I see that, I throttle it back some more. Then some at the bottom start getting thin. Those will be culled.

I do it the easy way. After the 45 day weaning phase they get turned out with the bred cows till spring. When calving starts we bring them up and pen them for about 3 months then turn them in to breed.

Latest posts