Deskunking your pet

Help Support CattleToday:

TnWI

Reaction score
It is said to be far more effective and does not require repeated use. It can be used on cats as well as dogs.
The recipe is as follows:
1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (from the drug store)
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap (Dawn dish soap works best)
Bathe the pet and work the solution into the coat. Follow with a tap water rinse. On long-haired dogs, most of the challenge is getting the solution down to the skin.

NOTE: Discard any unused formula because the release of oxygen caused by the chemical reaction could make the container explode.

We can get a product from our vet called Skunk Off that is inexpensive and works well also.

Deskunking Solution

1/4 c baking soda
1 qt peroxide
1 t Joy (lemon works best)
add to 1 gallon cool water

wet animals coat
apply solution and work into lather
let set on animal 5 minutes
rinse

Thought I would add what a friend of mine that works at a vet recommends to do as well. Solution is the same but she mixes it up and then coats. She says shouldn't be anyleft and doesn't cause as much skin irritation to your pet.

FYI, if you know when it happened and have access to a garden hose and an outdoor faucet fairly quickly after the event, a simple hosing down followed by a regular bath will also take care of the skunk smell unless they took a direct hit to the face and down the throat. :( :( That just has to wear off.

msscamp":316zfdpo said:
FYI, if you know when it happened and have access to a garden hose and an outdoor faucet fairly quickly after the event, a simple hosing down followed by a regular bath will also take care of the skunk smell unless they took a direct hit to the face and down the throat. :( :( That just has to wear off.

That happened to my sheperd -- poor thing couldn't eat for a few days.

TnWI":2cmg1rch said:
msscamp":2cmg1rch said:

That happened to my sheperd -- poor thing couldn't eat for a few days.

Wow, you're dog must have gotten a bigger dose than mine did! It didn't seem to phase my dogs (2 of them got sprayed in the same encounter) as far as eating or anything, they just had the breath of Godzilla for a few weeks. :shock: :( :(

Latest posts