DeShazer Cattle Company

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife

Reaction score
Anyone attending the DCC Really Big Bred Heifer Sale next Sunday. Sale catalog looks like there will be great cattle to be had.

I watched/listened to this sale online yesterday.

I didn't go because this drought is causing me to sell cattle that I would prefer to keep.

I thought the sale prices were off from their prior sales and there were several "bargains" to be had. I'm guessing there were others like me that stayed home rather than be tempted.

Did anyone that attended the sale have the same perspective?

George

I didn't really talk to anyone about the prices, but my husband and I discussed it several different times. We bought lot 22, which is a rockin w Sarah November heifer bred to Freedom. We thought we did pretty good on her. She will fit our program well and falls right in with our calving season. To be truthful on the quality, I just didn't think it was there this time, but there were several really nice lots. The lot 118 calf was fantastic and so the price indicated. One the first choice of bred heifers, I sure like the lot 12 heifer, but couldn't afford her. The first heifer calf went for less then 5000, which is about a fifth of what they have gone for in the past. I thought Tim was pretty shocked at that point. The prices picked up somewhat, but just weren't near as strong. The buyer numbers weren't there either -- lots of empty seats. The Air Conditioned sale facility sure was nice though and the food and hospitality were great as usual.