delete

Help Support CattleToday:

My wife throws the kitchen sink in...

I grew up thinking iceberg lettuce and tomato makes a salad. I found out I was wrong...
IMO,. you were right.....REAL lettuce and diced tomatoes! I will eat it with other stuff...onions, carrots, radishes, bell pepper...as long as there is no Tommy Toes, spinach, romaine, or that uguroogula, or whatever it is called, in it.

Naw - I'll pass on them. Fresh cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, celery, radishes, with fresh romaine lettuce - yum.
I don't have cherry tomatoes, but I'll send some Jet Star, Cherokee Purple or Parker's Whopper. IDK what I did, but my plants are now 10 feet plus tall! I'll need a cherry picker.....ok, tomato picker.......when those get ripe! And currently I already have enough to eat nothing but tomatoes for each meal every day of the week, as well as feed the neighbors! It was only 12 plants to start with, and one died.

IMO,. you were right.....REAL lettuce and diced tomatoes! I will eat it with other stuff...onions, carrots, radishes, bell pepper...as long as there is no Tommy Toes, spinach, romaine, or that uguroogula, or whatever it is called, in it.
I like to cultivate new tastes/experiences. I once said no to a lot of things and thought it was cool to do so. A while back my wife found a textile wall hanging she liked and hung it on the wall. It says, "It's not how much you have, it's how much you enjoy that makes you happy."

I thought about that over time and the longer I considered it the more I appreciated what it said.

I rarely say no anymore and my life is better.

I found out it takes an average of trying something nine times to like it. Most of us try something once or twice and quit. I still don't like black licorice or green jello... but I like alot of stuff now that I never did before.

Romaine, plain old Paris Island Cos, is our favorite lettuce. The fact it is so easy to grow may contribute to this. Lots of salads until the cabbage comes in and then we turn to slaw. Slaw particularly is "good for what ails you" with chopped peppers mixed in.
I think I will have some now even though the cabbage is getting a little mature for the best slaw.

Romaine, plain old Paris Island Cos, is our favorite lettuce. The fact it is so easy to grow may contribute to this. Lots of salads until the cabbage comes in and then we turn to slaw. Slaw particularly is "good for what ails you" with chopped peppers mixed in.
I think I will have some now even though the cabbage is getting a little mature for the best slaw.
Lord, slaw is another thing all of the "not-from-around-here" folks are screwing up these days. The last 30 years or so, our part of the country has become infested with Yankees, Californians, foreigners and other such types. Moving here and STAYING here! Lots of them have gotten jobs in restaurants, or even opened their own, and waty too many do not know how to cook. They are doing unspeakable, horrible things to food....some I can't even bear to write about. One of the first things I noticed was they had NO CLUE how to cook beqaaqns, especially green beans! I remember the first time I ate at a diner these people from Vermont had bought. One I had eaten at al lof my life. When I ordered green beans, they brought out some that were half raw, crunchy, and had NUTS in them!! I motioned for Donna (the new owner) to come over and asked " What the h3ll is this? Did you run out of gas before you got them cooked?!! Who spilt chopped nuts in the pot?!!" She said she v cooked them like that on purpose!! So, I had to explain top her there is no nuts in grean beans. anmd yuou cook them til they are done , and use fat back or streak o lean in the pot! She cooks them right, now, thank God. But, about a year ago they added an all-you-can-eat catfish to their Friday night menu.. It was good! Maybe the best I have eaten! And the hushpuppies were probably the 2nd best I have eaten. But the slaw!!! When I saw it in the little bowl, I saw she had committed 2 misdemeanors. There were shredded carrots and purple cabbage in it. Slaw is cabbage, mayo, a little black pepper and a little sugar. That is it! So, I took a bite and *^&%$#!!! ..it lioke to have set my mouth on fire! She had used HORSERADISH SAUCE in stead of mayo! I choked and spit and tried to gulp my whole glass of tea, nut that's when I found out she didn't put sugar in her tea! She had committed TWO felonies that could have gotten her deported back across the M-D line! I told her to quick go back there and put some more tea on and pour that cold unsweet sh*t out, because you can't ass sugar after it is cold. aBut that concoction sjhe called slaw?!!! She said back where she was from l they wanted slaw to be hot (spicy). I said " Honey, in the 60 something years you lived up there, did you ever meet anyone from here, ALA, Tenn, etc, that had moved up there to live?:!!! She said no, not that she could recall. So I picked up and dropped the plate with the slaw and beans and said " THIS is probably why!!" And there;s other horror stories I will have to tell later. Like people putting LIMA BEANS in Brunswick Stew! Or potatoes!

Lord, slaw is another thing all of the "not-from-around-here" folks are screwing up these days. The last 30 years or so, our part of the country has become infested with Yankees, Californians, foreigners and other such types. Moving here and STAYING here! Lots of them have gotten jobs in restaurants, or even opened their own, and waty too many do not know how to cook. They are doing unspeakable, horrible things to food....some I can't even bear to write about. One of the first things I noticed was they had NO CLUE how to cook beqaaqns, especially green beans! I remember the first time I ate at a diner these people from Vermont had bought. One I had eaten at al lof my life. When I ordered green beans, they brought out some that were half raw, crunchy, and had NUTS in them!! I motioned for Donna (the new owner) to come over and asked " What the h3ll is this? Did you run out of gas before you got them cooked?!! Who spilt chopped nuts in the pot?!!" She said she v cooked them like that on purpose!! So, I had to explain top her there is no nuts in grean beans. anmd yuou cook them til they are done , and use fat back or streak o lean in the pot! She cooks them right, now, thank God. But, about a year ago they added an all-you-can-eat catfish to their Friday night menu.. It was good! Maybe the best I have eaten! And the hushpuppies were probably the 2nd best I have eaten. But the slaw!!! When I saw it in the little bowl, I saw she had committed 2 misdemeanors. There were shredded carrots and purple cabbage in it. Slaw is cabbage, mayo, a little black pepper and a little sugar. That is it! So, I took a bite and *^&%$#!!! ..it lioke to have set my mouth on fire! She had used HORSERADISH SAUCE in stead of mayo! I choked and spit and tried to gulp my whole glass of tea, nut that's when I found out she didn't put sugar in her tea! She had committed TWO felonies that could have gotten her deported back across the M-D line! I told her to quick go back there and put some more tea on and pour that cold unsweet sh*t out, because you can't ass sugar after it is cold. aBut that concoction sjhe called slaw?!!! She said back where she was from l they wanted slaw to be hot (spicy). I said " Honey, in the 60 something years you lived up there, did you ever meet anyone from here, ALA, Tenn, etc, that had moved up there to live?:!!! She said no, not that she could recall. So I picked up and dropped the plate with the slaw and beans and said " THIS is probably why!!" And there;s other horror stories I will have to tell later. Like people putting LIMA BEANS in Brunswick Stew! Or potatoes!
I promise I won't try to re-invent the local cuisine when I get to Columbia, SC. Can I still relocate there? (I currently Live in WV, work in OH, and grew up in IN. I've worked in GA and attended college in OR)

Are you not going to give us your recipe??
Just a touch less than 1/2 cup sour cream
Tad more than 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
3/4 cup Buttermilk

I whisk those all together first.
Spices mixed separately then added later.

Âľ Tsp dill. (Might be too much for some folks)
½ tsp parsley
Big ½ tsp chives
Lil over ÂĽ tsp onion powder or onion salt.
(Experiment)
Big ½ tsp garlic powder
Been playing with salt and pepper amounts.
About ½ tsp salt.
ÂĽ tsp pepper.
(I used grinders. Not pre-ground)

How about everyone else??
I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:
I promise I won't try to re-invent the local cuisine when I get to Columbia, SC. Can I still relocate there? (I currently Live in WV, work in OH, and grew up in IN. I've worked in GA and attended college in OR)
LOL. Come on down! Columbia , SC is an awesome place. If I didn't live in GA, I would live there, TN or Alabama.

Amen ! Preach it brother !! 🤠

Setting at an auction with more junk than farm equipment. Any salad looks delish.

Mark you retiring?

A lot of us are tiring of people moving in areas and bringing development and high taxes. Preaching appreciated.

That said I've toyed with moving. There are not many cheap areas now that are not high tax. Everything has been run up high. LA, MO, AR and KS?

Latest posts