Delayed again

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Well, we have received about 10 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and it is still raining now. I guess my baling season has been extended to Thanksgiving time frame now.

The last report says over 12 inches in the last 24 hours. I'm sure it is more because this stuff is coming down sideways.

Yeah, the path on that thing is kind of strange too. From what I saw on the news this mornining, it's going a little out into the atlantic, then it's going to turn west and follow I-10 . We might get some rain from it to. Course I'm not in a bind, it's been raining just about every day for the last week and a half. Need to poison some weeds, but when I have the time, it's raining.

We are getting some loose clouds from Fay right now. Probably just got an inch. Just checked a hay field that really needed cutting last week. It looks like I got crop circles in it right now. The grass still standing is up to my crotch. I don't know how many bales this is going to bale but I do think it will be a record for me.

Jogeephus":g0jvfb0c said:
We are getting some loose clouds from Fay right now. Probably just got an inch. Just checked a hay field that really needed cutting last week. It looks like I got crop circles in it right now. The grass still standing is up to my crotch. I don't know how many bales this is going to bale but I do think it will be a record for me.
with the grass belly high youll prolly get 3 to 4 bales to the ac.depending on what size baler you use.

bigbull338":3g4egcd8 said:
Jogeephus":3g4egcd8 said:
with the grass belly high youll prolly get 3 to 4 bales to the ac.depending on what size baler you use.

I roll 4x5's. The field is T85 and is very dense on the ground. Green goes all the way to the dirt - today. Last cutting I got 5/acre and the hay was just below my knee. Its now, nearly twice that deep and reaches past the third rung on a 5 bar bull gate. I'm afraid its going to be he77 baling this if I can't get it cut soon.

Jogeephus":2hyh0usa said:
bigbull338":2hyh0usa said:
Jogeephus":2hyh0usa said:

I roll 4x5's. The field is T85 and is very dense on the ground. Green goes all the way to the dirt - today. Last cutting I got 5/acre and the hay was just below my knee. Its now, nearly twice that deep and reaches past the third rung on a 5 bar bull gate. I'm afraid its going to be he77 baling this if I can't get it cut soon.

That might not be fun to cut after the wind blows it down.

flaboy":nufbw4l4 said:
Well, we have received about 10 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and it is still raining now. I guess my baling season has been extended to Thanksgiving time frame now.

Reports are 18.5" for us. Strangely, the flooding doesn't seem as severe as it was in '04 from Frances after 14", although many would disagree. I suppose the storm surge was to blame back then. I was in the middle of a good haylage push at the "big ranch" in St. Cloud / Kissimmee / West Melbourne before all this began. Doesn't look like any cutting will happen for a while.

We are up to about 15 inches now. I hope to post some pics on the coffee shop so be on the look out. The farm is getting it today and tonight. The dang storm has stalled. I had 10-12 inches of water in my feed room and tack rooms in the horse stalls.

1982vett":qnbrkvxw said:
Jogeephus":qnbrkvxw said:
bigbull338":qnbrkvxw said:

That might not be fun to cut after the wind blows it down.

This is what it looked like this morning.

IMG_2574.jpg

This is another field cut two weeks behind the first picture. Its beginning to droop some too but it shouldn't be ready for another two weeks. If weather clears after Fay, this field will work out perfect.

IMG_2577.jpg

gertguy":qnbrkvxw said:
Won't u crying 2 months, congrats on it though i just wish it came my way.

I was whining two months ago but you haven't heard me complain yet. I'm proud to see the rain. True its going to cause some difficulties but it sure beats the heck out of the drought. You are powerless in a drought.

Jogee, that is so purdy it kind of makes me a bit envious. I have a bunch of cows that would love to get off into some of that. Hope you can get it in before it gets to rank. I would be a shame to lose it.

We are finally getting some showers. Nothing like what some are getting but at least the grass is trying to green back up. Cows spent most of the day hustling after the green pickings. Still havn't gotten that drought buster but I think we have gotten enough that I can make a pass over the oat land and get it ready to plant.

Jo, those fields look great. If ya can get it up it should make some really nice hay.

Thanks. This will only be my second cutting when it should be my fourth or fifth. Just can't grow much without water. Feast or famine seems to be the norm. If worst comes to worst I'll make baleage out of it.