dehorn

Help Support CattleToday:

When she knocked one of the ring guys over the front then climbed half way up into the auctineers lap it brought more laughss then smiles.

dun

D.R. Cattle":32wll83d said:
Yeah but the sale ring always brings a smile when they're that crazy.

D.R. Cattle":2pdzntpm said:
I've been in a few situations where rompem or some other dart delivered sedative would have been a lifesaver. Where do you guys get that stuff? I'm getting too old to rope and drag unruly cattle, not to mention urban sprawl is closing in and I can't afford to get them stirred up and crashing the fence.

Rompun is just the trade name for Xylazine. its a prescription drug so you'd have to get it from a vet. it can work miracles but can also make them crazier than before. A lot of vets use it on crazies when they have to pull calves.

Vicki the Vet would be a good one to ask about this. i wonder if she comes on here anymore?

Well, sometimes you buy an animal that has horns and it has to be dehorned. Polled bulls aren't foolproof either -- if the bull's not homozygous polled, then some of his calves may have horns (depending of course, on what horn genes the cow carries). Dad's Red Angus bull is polled and all but 1 of his cows are polled, and he still gets about 25% horned calves.

My Highland heifer will be bred only to polled bulls, but there is still a chance that her calves will have horns. Something we'll deal with when the time comes, but I can assure you, any horned calves will be dehorned/disbudded at a very early age. Personally I have no use for horns, but I won't pass up a good animals just because it has (or had) horns.

Ann B

Ellie May":k2gjgybq said:
Yeah I know but everyone else was saying how they hated dehorning.
Ellie May

Put acid paste on their horns when they are born. Then put duck tape over both horns that you pasted. Cow cant lick it off or get it on her udder.

Latest posts