Deer Valley Unique

Help Support CattleToday:

Cdcollett

Reaction score
Anybody else using him? I like the dam & he looks solid so I gave him a try. I've been a little surprised by a few 90+ lb calves on cows who haven't typically had big calves. By his Epds he should be calving ease but I'm hesitant to use him on heifers which I was going to do this winter. If you used him & can speak to birthweight I'd appreciate it.

I was able to talk with Brian House at Select on Unique & a few other bulls. He seems pretty high on the Bull because of the dam and his base width & structure. He hadn't seen a lot of calving data but did point out that the pedigree wasn't in line with the calving ease epd so between that and the wider phenotype he would not be surprised if that moved somewhat. Time will tell.

That kind of reinforced my thoughts so I'm gong to keep using him on cows based on that for now. I felt Brian was super helpful

I'm interested in using this bull. I assume you have calves on the ground from him, how do you like his calves? Do you have any breeding age females out of him?

Just calves so nothing to go on other than higher birthweight than the epds represent. Not sure anyone but the owners of the Bull could have breeding age females yet.

Cdcollett said:
Anybody else using him? I like the dam & he looks solid so I gave him a try. I've been a little surprised by a few 90+ lb calves on cows who haven't typically had big calves. By his Epds he should be calving ease but I'm hesitant to use him on heifers which I was going to do this winter. If you used him & can speak to birthweight I'd appreciate it.

How did your Deer Valley Unique calves turn out? Would/Did you breed to him again? Been watching his end's.. questioning the non-reporting of any producing daughters. There should be some reported by now?? Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

I like what I've seen of them but I will have a better idea when I get them off the mountain. I only have a few. I'll respond again in a month or so.

On my first use I got 3 out of 5 to have an ai calf. One really nice bull out of a mentor daughter and one really nice heifer out of an intensity daughter. The other was a bull calf out of a 6i6 daughter that generally has the too tall too narrow type and she did it again so that was disappointing but not a surprise. The first bull will go to the high desert bull sale in the spring.
Last years breeding looks like 5 or 6 out of 10 for fall calves. That's a little low for me on conception but I'm not the worlds best ai tech so it could have been my issue and not the bulls. The Peyton and Sure Fires are at closer to 80% though.
I am using him again but it looks like I get a total of 8 straws because he isn't producing semen at the moment.
So I like Uniques sire and dam, like his carcass projections, feet,performance and maternal from what I can tell so far. You get some natural thickness without breeding for midgets. I hope he gets over whatever his production problem is. I would like to see his fertility traits improve(hp, scrotal) but they aren't that bad so hopefully that doesn't show up later. Keep in mind my oldest is just a yearling.

Like cdcollett, I contacted Joe Myers who does some bull selection/procurement for Select. He says calves are"deep bodied and wide based". Also told me that despite the epsd, he did not recommend for use on heifers; " would caution you that he is not a consistent calving ease bull. Once in a while he will throw a mid 80's pound calf".
I ended up using Tex Playbook on my heifers, but did use Unique on some cows.

Like cdcollett, I contacted Joe Myers who does some bull selection/procurement for Select. He says calves are"deep bodied and wide based". Also told me that despite the epsd, he did not recommend for use on heifers; " would caution you that he is not a consistent calving ease bull. Once in a while he will throw a mid 80's pound calf".
I ended up using Tex Playbook on my heifers, but did use Unique on some cows.
thats the best person to ask. Angus john i'm up here on the other side of the river from Joe, not far from you either

Latest posts