Deer slump

Help Support CattleToday:

Horticattleman

Reaction score
Man i'm in a slump. I hunted friday all day saturday all day and half a day today and nothing. I did the same last weekend for blackpowder and the weekend before for archery. I don't know whats up but man im in a slump.

I've been seeing piles of does but no bucks to speak of till tonight. Boy did I see a monster. Had to have a good 15 inch inside spread with tines at least 6 inches long. Perfect rack. Only problem, he was crossing the road right at the city limits sign. I had to stop my truck to let the boy cross the road as it seems he only had one thing on his mind.

Horticattleman":1e38zzjk said:
Man i'm in a slump. I hunted friday all day saturday all day and half a day today and nothing. I did the same last weekend for blackpowder and the weekend before for archery. I don't know whats up but man im in a slump.

Hang in there... one season, I never saw a deer for the first 7 days!!... then all of the sudden, a big 11 point walked right into the field in front of my stand. Blam!! Then the day after that, saw 10 does, so I got my doe and was done for the season.
Patience is the key.

Limomike":2yqm75ui said:
Horticattleman":2yqm75ui said:

Hang in there... one season, I never saw a deer for the first 7 days!!... then all of the sudden, a big 11 point walked right into the field in front of my stand. Blam!! Then the day after that, saw 10 does, so I got my doe and was done for the season.
Patience is the key.

Yup, you gotta pay your dues!

I saw the buck we call Bullwinkle last Thrusday 10/23/08. He was about 1/4 mile off. Two years ago I had him 20 feet from me. He is a trophy buck. I don't want to eat him so I don't kill him. Others are foaming at the mouth for him. He is a smart old codger.

Been seeing several 6 and 8 point bucks this year.

I haven't even dusted off the bow. In years past I was already limited out during bow season. I haven't killed one with a bow in three years now. Just burnt out I guess. Shooting deer is almost like shooting cows any more. Not all that much challenge.

backhoeboogie":34ylb3je said:
I saw the buck we call Bullwinkle last Thrusday 10/23/08. He was about 1/4 mile off. Two years ago I had him 20 feet from me. He is a trophy buck. I don't want to eat him so I don't kill him. Others are foaming at the mouth for him. He is a smart old codger.

Been seeing several 6 and 8 point bucks this year.

I haven't even dusted off the bow. In years past I was already limited out during bow season. I haven't killed one with a bow in three years now. Just burnt out I guess. Shooting deer is almost like shooting cows any more. Not all that much challenge.

But it sure is good eating and a nice change from beef occasioanlly. Even the old ones make darn good eating. But I have noticed that whitetails around here, probably because of the diet, aren;t nearly as tasty as Mule deer

Latest posts