Deer not coming to the feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
I just put up a feeder this fall. It is sort of setup in a triangle of fence. Barbed wire on 2 sides, 1 electric wire on the other side (30"). The triangle is big enough for them to feel comfortable jumping in, I think (60' plus across in the center).

I am currently throwing 3 sec of corn 2 times a day. Nothing is showing up on the game camera. It has been there 2 weeks. This is on the edge of the woods. I know there are deer around, as I see them off and on and see plenty of tracks around.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A buddy of mine suggested mixing in the apple scented pellets from TSC.

Thanks,
Joseph

It could just be that there's already an abundence of food around for them, or it could be that something is making them uncomfortable.

jsm":1z45dodr said:
All,
I just put up a feeder this fall. It is sort of setup in a triangle of fence. Barbed wire on 2 sides, 1 electric wire on the other side (30"). The triangle is big enough for them to feel comfortable jumping in, I think (60' plus across in the center).

I am currently throwing 3 sec of corn 2 times a day. Nothing is showing up on the game camera. It has been there 2 weeks. This is on the edge of the woods. I know there are deer around, as I see them off and on and see plenty of tracks around.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A buddy of mine suggested mixing in the apple scented pellets from TSC.

Thanks,
Joseph

They are eating acorns here walking right by the feeders.

I put 50 pounds out Monday, and put a camera on it. My phone had two does on it before I got back to the house. Two does would do that same thing last year. All the way back to the house I was expecting it.

Are your deer trained to come to come to feeders?? Deer do not like new things, especially ones that make noises. I would think the fences aren't helping you out either. Hard to train a deer to do 2 things at once. I have been trying to train deer to eat corn out of my hand. They won't come to me yet, but they will stay and watch me throw the corn out of a yellow bucket every day. At least they don't run off anymore. By next year I should have them trained.

Thanks for the replies. The source of other food might actually be the problem. Never thought about that.

CB you guys have acorns? I haven't even checked our trees but as dry as it's been don't expect much of a crop. Got lots of post oaks dieing right adn left.

Dunno about CB (he's about 70 miles from me) but I haven't seen a single acorn on the ground yet and very few in the trees. My White Oaks are usually loaded by now.

greybeard":1o7v0bcy said:
Dunno about CB (he's about 70 miles from me) but I haven't seen a single acorn on the ground yet and very few in the trees. My White Oaks are usually loaded by now.

Squirrels and deer are working the white oaks over here.
Had a doe and two yearlings in the front yard the other evening waiting on the squirrels to drop another one.

I have 4 stands and where I hand corn I get 3 times the pictures that I do where a feeder is set up . Might be different for some but I've always seen more deer when there is less sign of humans . If it wasn't for my 2 boys I'd still be hunting scrape lines in the national forest ..but that's hard hunting for a 9 year old .

Caustic Burno":wzrni06k said:
jsm":wzrni06k said:
All,

Thanks,
Joseph

They are eating acorns here walking right by the feeders.

I haven't seen the first acorn here this year where I hunt that is.

Latest posts