DeepRock

Help Support CattleToday:

If you're talking about those little well drilling rigs (hydraulically operated with water) in all the popular magazines... well...

Better have good loose soil with no rocks or heavy clay. Those rigs might work down to 15 to 25 feet or so. Couldn't get much water out of the hole with the small size holes those things supposedly drill.

A friend of mine bought one. The pump to go down the small hole was expensive. Like Running Arrow Bill said it ain't much water flow. My friend did hit water but no deeper than he could go it ain't much pumpkin. He went to about 30 feet and hit solid rock. Thats as far as he could go. IMO they ain't as good as a sand point with a above ground pump. Sand points don't work around here but in your neck of the woods I think they are used fairly often.

Bama":76eq48vm said:
. Sand points don't work around here but in your neck of the woods I think they are used fairly often.

Bill and Bama

This is more what I had in mind.I guess its actually is a medium drill

DR100_white_truck_small.jpg

My current well is 105 ft..

Not too many close to me use sandpoints.

I found a good vein here about 22 ft down.Would a sandpoint reach that far?
How deep can you put them max?

Thats a lot more rig than I was thinking you were talking about. I had a well "dug" with a rig not much larger than that. It was a old pounder type. I got 23 gal per minute for 6 hours at 98 feet. I have a 1 1/2 horse pump at 95 feet. The other well is 65 feet and I get 15 gal per min. for 4 hours. That is the exception in my neck of the woods. Most wells dont do that well around North Alabama. The going price around here is $8.00 to $14.00 per foot plus casing. So some money could be made with a rig like that if you can get the business.

The sandpoint is only able to go down into loose soil ance it hit roch it can't go much deeper. Normally you get very little water from a well of this type. They are used mostly around the great lakes and other areas where water is close to the surface.

Bama":2ppjg1yu said:
Thats a lot more rig than I was thinking you were talking about. I had a well "dug" with a rig not much larger than that. It was a old pounder type. I got 23 gal per minute for 6 hours at 98 feet. I have a 1 1/2 horse pump at 95 feet. The other well is 65 feet and I get 15 gal per min. for 4 hours. That is the exception in my neck of the woods. Most wells dont do that well around North Alabama. The going price around here is $8.00 to $14.00 per foot plus casing. So some money could be made with a rig like that if you can get the business.

Are your pumps submersibles? My old well here puts out about 3 gallons a minute.I have a Jacuzzi 1/2 hp convertile jet pulling from 103 ft.

There is no local well driller for abot 75 miles either way.Its about 12dollars a ft for a 5 inch well .Without the casing.I think I could help a few neighbours out and make a little money as well.I would take a well drilling course as well.

I just had a well drilled about a yr ago for my sprinkler system and for the cows. City water here is outrageously expensive, so we only use city water for the house. We had to go about 225 ft deep, and it was almost $5000. But that included the pump, casing, 110 gallon storage tank and all electrical hookup. This guy had the huge truck mounted rig, which tilted up and drilled 20 ft at a time. I thought it looked like pretty easy money too, until he told me the new rig was around $150 grand and his insurance is killing him. But he must be doing somethng right, since he has 3 rigs and they pretty much all stay out drilling. But we are also experiencing an unprecedented constuction period here in N Texas, and folks are building way out in the country where there arent any water lines available.

Frenchie, is there any way to rent or lease these rigs until you can see how the business kinda plays out?

By the way, I have a 2 HP submersible pump, and it puts out around 25 gals/minute for as long as I need it to. I run my sprinklers around 12 hrs at a time, around 12,000gallons each time, usually 3-4 days a week in the summer.

My well is around 500'
My pump is at 300 or 350 I think.

Long story but here goes. I wanted a well for the sprinklers in the yard plus also for other uses. The cows have 6 ponds to chose from plus a creek. I was gonna dig a well and a friend at work heard about it. He said he had a buddy that would "witch" if for me. I ain't never been much on this witching thing but my neighbor has a 300' dry hole and a couple of lesser ones that are dry. Anyway, this "witcher" shows up and tells me where to drill. It happened to be at a place I wanted it anyway. The rig was older than I am. A pounding type. It has a 21' long bit that hammers a 5 inch hole in the ground. I hit water at 44 feet. They went on down to 61 ' and the cable broke holding the bit. I made a pipe to go over the bit and fashioned it to grab the bit. It caught and they picked the front end of the truck up trying to get it out. The pipe broke loose ( actually ripped ). We left the bit in that hole and moved over 2 feet. I thought with a hammer type it would crack the rock and the first well would drain into the second. At 80 feet I still had no water in the second hole. At 90' I hit a gusher. The water came up to about 15 feet from the surface. The first well 2 feet away has water 5 feet from the surface. I can pump the 2nd well down in about 6 hours and the first well is still at the same level. I looks like with only 2 feet seperating them there would be a crack or someway for them to get together. They are only 2 feet apart but two seperate wells. We think the bit in the first well hung up when we went through a cavern. But I didn't hit it on the second one. I have 2 summersible pumps in them and get all the water I need. I have it ran to the barn and the cows will come across the creek and past a pond to drink from a tank on well water. I reckon there is a mineral in it they like. The second well has a lot of magnesium in it. Maybe that is what they are after.

eric":3tw6bdmb said:
I just had a well drilled about a yr ago for my sprinkler system and for the cows. City water here is outrageously expensive, so we only use city water for the house. We had to go about 225 ft deep, and it was almost $5000. But that included the pump, casing, 110 gallon storage tank and all electrical hookup. This guy had the huge truck mounted rig, which tilted up and drilled 20 ft at a time. I thought it looked like pretty easy money too, until he told me the new rig was around $150 grand and his insurance is killing him. But he must be doing somethng right, since he has 3 rigs and they pretty much all stay out drilling. But we are also experiencing an unprecedented constuction period here in N Texas, and folks are building way out in the country where there arent any water lines available. .

Well I found out today with the 5 inch casing& screen its min $30 a ft.Likely $50 by the time Im done

Frenchie, is there any way to rent or lease these rigs until you can see how the business kinda plays out?.

I think that is a damm good idea and a lease is a 100% write-off. :D I had thought of going in with 2 other guys on it.

By the way, I have a 2 HP submersible pump, and it puts out around 25 gals/minute for as long as I need it to. I run my sprinklers around 12 hrs at a time, around 12,000gallons each time, usually 3-4 days a week in the summer.

Thats a lot of water.

Most well casings around here are 6"pvc pipe. When I bought mine it was $60.00 for 20 ' that was about 5 years ago. I only used 16' in each well. Thats where I hit solid rock. Solid rock at 12 feet then he drilled another 4 feet with the 6" bit to set the casing in. I have a 9 1/2' basement less than 30 foot from these wells. I was lucky and never hit rock.

Water runs out of the ground around here .. It is kinda nice .. we call them springs and we are very thankful for them.

frenchie":9a78mrsq said:
ollie":9a78mrsq said:
My well is around 500'

Your a lucky man to have that much water on hand.How big a well casing.
I "think" it is a 6" frenchie. Our rual water wells are around 2500' deep. That is a long way down.

ollie":abk22kcq said:
frenchie":abk22kcq said:
ollie":abk22kcq said:
My well is around 500'

Your a lucky man to have that much water on hand.How big a well casing.
I "think" it is a 6" frenchie. Our rual water wells are around 2500' deep. That is a long way down.

That must take one hell of a pump to draw water from those rural water wells.I would ,nt want to have to pull those water lines too many times :)

Latest posts