Decks?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Does anyone have a deck with the composite material instead of pressure treated? We are looking at options for a new deck, it will take a lot of sun and weather but will be covered. Get mixed reviews in my google searches, wish I knew someone who had a composite deck that was a few years old to go look at. Also looked at doing concrete but since the roof will be free standing it will be hard to attach posts to the slab and have lateral strength.

i have had trex for about 5 years... it fades slightly and looks dull, but not that bad. i have to say it holds up good in the sun. it really does not look as good as a freshly painted or stained wood product, but all in all it is probably the best. it hasn't buckled or warped. it is easy to clean. i wish i could brighten it up... for maintenance it is great, for looks it is so-so. i have the rails and post also. they seem to be doing fine. there is just something i like about wood, but it comes with a lot of maintenance.
i would look at other composites other than trex. i think trex may be the cheapest i bought it at home depot and installed it myself. i used a bisquit router and installed concealed fasteners. some of the composites come pre-routed.

I have had a Trex deck for 5 years. It is covered by a fiberglass roof. It still looks good. I also have a set of trex stair treds that have been in the sun for the same 5 years, I can't tellmuch difference. Be careful if you use trex to take your time with your saw. It is very dense and can burn up a saw in a hurry.

From a maintainance pov it's pretty good. Far better than wood. The downside is that it has all those little fibers and over time it starts to look a little furry. It does absorb more moisture than wood and because it's denser its harder to get stains out. It does much better under cover over time

I looked at some of that product a few weeks ago for a little bath house project. I was set on that stuff
untill I priced it and took a good look at it. I think I'm going with wood....real wood. The price of that
stuff doesn't warrant for my particular job and I think some real wood will look better in even the long run.

Douglas":kseena37 said:
You do know that pressure treated wood left over from a fencing project (wink, wink) is tax deductible as a farm expense.

and then you can halter train while you both have a cold one on the deck. :banana:

Latest posts