decisions, decisions

Help Support CattleToday:

pruss06

Reaction score
I think I've finally narrowed my choices down on what breeds to go with... tell me what you guys think. I'm thinking of going with Brangus cows and a Santa Gertrudis bull. Leaning toward the Gert bull because my uncle has raised gerts forever and think I could get the services of the bull for free!!!
Any input would be very welcome

Inly problem I see is the amount of ear on the calves. I'ld be concerned (around here it kills you) with selling calves for other then breeding stock with that much ear. But, a neighbor raises Gerts and he hauls them to OK somewhere and doesn;t get docked near as bad as he does in MO.

dun

dun":311hlgmn said:
Inly problem I see is the amount of ear on the calves. I'ld be concerned (around here it kills you) with selling calves for other then breeding stock with that much ear. But, a neighbor raises Gerts and he hauls them to OK somewhere and doesn;t get docked near as bad as he does in MO.

dun

Thanks dun, I hadn't thought of that. My main concern was trying to make sure that most of my calves are black because right now that seems to be what is bringing the money in texas.

dun":9fg63d5x said:

dun

do you think Charlais w/Angus is a better choice???

pruss06":3vy2m0jg said:
dun":3vy2m0jg said:

dun

Thanks dun, I hadn't thought of that. My main concern was trying to make sure that most of my calves are black because right now that seems to be what is bringing the money in texas.

Why not an angus bull over Gert cows. I happen to be more favorably disposed towards Gerts then Brangus, mainly because it provides more breeding alternatives and still provide good heterosis. But I've alwasy been the "odd bodkin" anyway

dun

dun":wjwz00ku said:
pruss06":wjwz00ku said:
dun":wjwz00ku said:

dun

Why not an angus bull over Gert cows. I happen to be more favorably disposed towards Gerts then Brangus, mainly because it provides more breeding alternatives and still provide good heterosis. But I've alwasy been the "odd bodkin" anyway

dun

True... I had consider that option also, again because I can get a couple of starter cows from my uncle. Have one more question for you... what about an Black Angus bull with the Gert cows? Only asking cause my brother has an angus bull... looking for all kinds of ways I can save some bucks! lol you know.

pruss06":1hhjvjsh said:
what about an Black Angus bull with the Gert cows? Only asking cause my brother has an angus bull... looking for all kinds of ways I can save some bucks! lol you know.

That's what I had meant. You'll get the black from the angus, the maternal from the Gert with still a touch of ear on the calves but not very much.
I'm a bad one to aske about charolais, I think they should be stricken from the face ofthe earth along with a couple of other breeds. But that's just a personal thing.

dun

Of all the options you've discussed, I like the Angus bull on Gert cows the best. Good mommas with some ear, and a black calf with a little less ear. Don't think you'll go wrong there.

bullred":3h2if8zk said:
Of all the options you've discussed, I like the Angus bull on Gert cows the best. Good mommas with some ear, and a black calf with a little less ear. Don't think you'll go wrong there.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input. Now just gotta save a little more cash and get those Gert cows.

Latest posts