Decisions, Decisions, Decisions......

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
My Cattle Mentor approached me again this morning at Church about buying him out. He is 76 and while not ready to retire compeletly, he wants to slow down. I had considered buying him out last year but held off. Here is what I am wrestling with -

I plan to go over in a week or so to see exactly what we are talking about but here is what I remember:

-Approximately 24 head consisting of mostly crossbred Beefmaster cattle with Angus infulence bulls the last 3 years.

-I will need to get count of mature cows, yearlings and calves.

-Herd is about 80% black hide

-Herd disposition is very gentle. No flighty cows or snorting going on.

-6 calves are expected to be on the ground withing next 45 days. Other calves are due later in the year.

-All cattle are in good shape and well taken care of. Shots minerals, etc....

-No defined calving season.

-Free use of about 60 acres of pasture with good summertime and winter grass.

-Fences are in avarage condition.

-Year round water via either a creek or 1.5 acre pond.

-Large barn with old chute and working headgate.

-Approximately 45 rolls of good mixed grass hay in barn.

He wants $20k for the herd. Again, I get the hay, use of the pasture and barn. All I need to go is maintain the fences and pasture.

The problem is that the place is about 40 miles away from where I live and my other herd. My mentor wants to retain one or two cows on the place for tax purposes and is willing to help me look after the herd and the place. He would be there 3 days a week. My Dad is usually in the area at least a couple of days and is will to help out looking after the place. I work fulltime at my regular paying job but fortunally I am able to work out of house at my fulltime job.

What would you do?

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.......

Though 40 miles is quite a distance, it sounds like he is trying to accomplish a few personal things for himself while also trying to do you a favor. I may be reading between the lines here some but I have seen this same situation twice before and I think I would do it given the outcomes I've seen in the past. Also, you have the other resources which can help with the distance. The only thing I think I woud be sure to do, is to explain to him of your concern about the distance and how you will try but may not be able to take care of everything as good as you would like. If he gives you his assurance that he understands this and he has considered this - I would do it. I might add, the other two instances where I saw this happen had fairy tale endings.

If you have to travel the distance several times per week, the fuel costs will eat you up.

If not, go for it.

Joo & Mike, therein lies the problem -

Joo, yes he wants to see me (or someone) take over who appreciates the hard work he has put into the place and the herd. He knows that he could take the entire herd to the salebarn and rent his place out but that's not what he wants to do. He still wants to be around the cows and the place but just wants to cut back some.

Mike, you are right. With diesle cost at above $3.15 a gallon the 80 mile trip would cost me about $14.00 a trip. If I make 3 trips a week, it would cost me $42.00 in fuel and almost 5 hours a week. This is why I passed on the offer last week.

I wish this place was 20 miles closer, I know what I would do.

He's your mentor...

Do it! Put a time limit on it...to see if it works out, but give it a try!

Hey, I'm a sucker for those that have happily and sincerely given me something of themselves...

Alice

Rod,

If you dont do it I will. :lol: What are the chances of this feller keeping an eye out while you cant be there? Opportunities like your's dont come up very often.

You have to do some guesstimating on how many times a week you will average going.
24 head is not a lot of cattle. Better if the number was 50, 75 or more.

Then consider if you have the time without running yourself to death. Then try to estimate fuel costs.
Only you can figure this.
I have been driving 130 miles several times a week for the last couple of weeks. When I fill up I just sort of don't look at the dollar figures on the pump. Gives me the shivers.

If you think you can handle time and fuel costs, go for it.
But if you can't, you can't.

I'm sure you want to do it. But seperate want from realism, whichever way it turns out.

Heck yeah go for it.

think outside the box.

what can you change to make it suit you.

can you make hay and then run stockers there?

Change it so that you don't have to go there three times a week.

Define a breeding season.
define a breeding season.
define a breeding season.

Calve the cows at your place then take some up there to graze.

forty miles just ain't that far.

Get a used little car to do the running.

Be creative in your thinking. If you can afford the outlay then by all means go for it.

from what i read about the cows an the price.he is cutting you one heck of a deal.yes the drive would cost you an cramp you for time.but he is your friend an mentor.an he really wants you to take over his herd an place.id hate tobe in your position.because if you turned him down.it might strain your friendship.

Quit looking a gift horse in the mouth and go for it. You know that no matter what happens you will make it work. There are so many options available to you that you can't lose. Besides you'll make an old friend very happy. As Admiral Perry said "dam the torpedoes full speed ahead."

Heck 40 miles is nothing. Try 120 miles. :shock:

Maybe I missed it but my only concern is, how long will he guarantee use of the property?

Also you mentioned Angus influenced but really didn't mention bull/bulls. Any bulls?

If they are good, mature cows I don't see where you would need to make 3 trips a week every week. I have been in a simular situation and made the trip out on the weekends. Maybe plan a weekend a month to stay out there and do work, but I wouldn't think you would have much time do do anything during the week w/ a full time job anyway (well, at least I don't since it gets dark so early now anyway) just my opinion.

Ask yourself what would you do if you lost the use of the land offered in the deal in a year or so? Could you regain your investment?

Latest posts