Decisions Decisions 2022 bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
It is getting time to make decisions on who gets to stay a bull and who goes into the freezer beef program. I try hard to select bulls that I would use myself. Criteria i look at is ADG, EPD's, genetics and phenotype. I developed a spreadsheet several years ago that I use to track each calf from birth. I Don't know how others make these decisions but I know I will be making steers out of some calves that are mighty nice.

397FFA44-9ECA-4329-A3F2-DCEA8C12EA26.jpeg

Do the same cows consistently produce the bull calves you are most apt to retain as bulls ?
with the older cows you know certain cows that just consistently hit it out of the park. We have one cow she is now 14 confirmed safe again AI she has slowed down but still getting the job done. She has made pathfinder numerous times in her caree. Her daughters work we had never retained a bull out of her And I started asking myself why not. So one of our clean up bulls is her 2020 bull calf out of a Resource son, he is. Stud. This year we Have several that just catch your eye as you drive through some are ET calves so you expect them to give you the wow factor. The ones I'm super excited about are the ones giving me the wow and it's out of a first calf heifer. When that happens I get plum tickled.

Do you genomic test before you make final decisions?

It is a tough job. I keep a bit under half of the bull calves entire. I only sell my bulls as yearlings now on the 1st Saturday in September, calving starts on the 1st of July so the ones I keep need to be born in that 1st month July so they will be 14-15 months of age. I am only doing one round of AI now so the majority of cows will calve in July but any stragglers will immediately get a band at birth so this sorts out a few to start with. Some cows don't milk as well as others but their calves will grow great after weaning so I do take into consideration the performance of previous calves from a cow.
This year I only wanted 6 to develop but somehow I ended up with 8, I just can't count.

Ken

It is a tough job. I keep a bit under half of the bull calves entire. I only sell my bulls as yearlings now on the 1st Saturday in September, calving starts on the 1st of July so the ones I keep need to be born in that 1st month July so they will be 14-15 months of age. I am only doing one round of AI now so the majority of cows will calve in July but any stragglers will immediately get a band at birth so this sorts out a few to start with. Some cows don't milk as well as others but their calves will grow great after weaning so I do take into consideration the performance of previous calves from a cow.
This year I only wanted 6 to develop but somehow I ended up with 8, I just can't count.

Ken

Something tells me your math will be right on if they all sell.

I seem to recall you posting that you have clients for them and previously turned some buyers away, so you'll be ok. Just a hunch.

Do you genomic test before you make final decisions?
They will be genomic tested before I register them, they have a whole lot of hoops to go through before they get marketed as a bull. The truth is we can do all of these things and still have a failure but we sure nuff try to make it so that the failures are few and far between.

Come to the dark side and cut them ALL.. See how much work I just saved you.. LOL
If the boss had his way that is exactly what we would do! I'm getting closer every year to making the decision to just put a horned Hereford on them and making my golden years a little easier on us.

nah dont mess with a good thing. we raised baldies for years.. finding a good hereford was tough in the right price range.. you know? good ones out there for sure but not as many as angus so the buyers paid more for them.. (the good ones)

nah dont mess with a good thing. we raised baldies for years.. finding a good hereford was tough in the right price range.. you know? good ones out there for sure but not as many as angus so the buyers paid more for them.. (the good ones)
We started weaning today gave all the calves their final vaccinations steered out the unlucky ones. I ended up keeping 17 bulls intact we sure banded some that would of made mighty good bulls lol.

It is different in this region. Top quality horned bulls are cheapest and easiest too find. Then top quality Sngus are next cheapest and harder to find. The highest and hardest too find is a good polled bull.

We started weaning today gave all the calves their final vaccinations steered out the unlucky ones. I ended up keeping 17 bulls intact we sure banded some that would of made mighty good bulls lol.
Wish you were closer. Your cattle overall is a little smaller framed than I desire but bet I could find one.

Latest posts