December 29, 1845

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Texas becomes the 28th state. I often wonder what Texas would be like if we had remained a Republic. I can picture a Republic that still values the old west style of life, has control it's borders, controls it's natural resources, the main law enforcement would be The Texas Rangers, The population would be mostly Native Texans, all the USA Gov. Money that would be pumped into a foreign country To buy our loyalty. We would still be rural but I believe we would be in a better position in this day and age, :cboy:

cowboy43":2c748rt7 said:
Texas becomes the 28th state. I often wonder what Texas would be like if we had remained a Republic. I can picture a Republic that still values the old west style of life, has control it's borders, controls it's natural resources, the main law enforcement would be The Texas Rangers, The population would be mostly Native Texans, all the USA Gov. Money that would be pumped into a foreign country To buy our loyalty. We would still be rural but I believe we would be in a better position in this day and age, :cboy:

The US would have went to war against us as Manifest Destiny couldn't be accomplished without Texas.
The Republic was to large consisting of parts of five states blocking western expansion.
That is my :2cents:

Caustic Burno":vj7kyvkr said:
cowboy43":vj7kyvkr said:

The US would have went to war against us as Manifest Destiny couldn't be accomplished without Texas.
The Republic was to large consisting of parts of five states blocking western expansion.

How do you think that have gone?

Rafter S":3kjf9af0 said:
Caustic Burno":3kjf9af0 said:
cowboy43":3kjf9af0 said:

How do you think that have gone?

We would have got our butt beat.
Texas was already broke just trying to keep Mexico at bay.
We would have been fighting on two fronts with no industry or way to raise the money for the resources needed to maintain a real navy or military.

It would be interesting Texas as a republic. I have also wondered what would of happened if the South had won the Civil War. I like to think of history and different outcomes.

Everytimes subjects like this come up, I feel like I need to tip my hat to you guys. You guys down in Texas seem to have a deep pride for your state, and it's history. You don't really see that here.

wacocowboy":uxog5yrn said:
It would be interesting Texas as a republic. I have also wondered what would of happened if the South had won the Civil War. I like to think of history and different outcomes.
I think if Texas could have made it with the right foreign allies like the USA when we were revolting from Britain
might have been a real interesting little country.
I have often wondered how much the USA was playing behind the scenes.

Caustic Burno":1y29rr49 said:
cowboy43":1y29rr49 said:

Manifest Destiny was already in in full swing by the end of 1845. The Oregon Trial was going strong by the summer of 1845. By the summer of 1845 the wagon trains were stacked up one behind the other. Americans were flooding into Oregon pushing the English and the Hudson Bay Company to the north. And they were also moving into California to the point where they were beginning to crowd on the Mexican population there.

Bigfoot":gmg1iebz said:
Everytimes subjects like this come up, I feel like I need to tip my hat to you guys. You guys down in Texas seem to have a deep pride for your state, and it's history. You don't really see that here.
I feel the same way BF! I do take some pride in the fact that there were some pretty good ol boys from Tennessee that will always be a part of Texas history! I have always told the wife that if I ever had to relocate somewhere, I would think hard about Texas!

Caustic Burno":3e6oj319 said:
wacocowboy":3e6oj319 said:
I think if Texas could have made it with the right foreign allies like the USA when we were revolting from Britain

I kinda wonder if Texas would have grown stronger and pushed into the rest of Mexico.

Dave Texas still stood in the way of the big picture as seen by Washington.
If Texas had it's current boundaries maybe wouldn't have meant much, the Republic
was just to large and interfered with the big picture IMO.

wacocowboy":2e94vsvd said:
Caustic Burno":2e94vsvd said:
wacocowboy":2e94vsvd said:

I kinda wonder if Texas would have grown stronger and pushed into the rest of Mexico.

If Texas could have really got on it's feet monetarily might have made a huge difference in history.

A point of interest and where I think eventually things would have got to be interesting is by comparing a map showing the Louisiana Purchase and one that shows the territory of the Republic of Texas. The Louisiana Purchase included the Texas panhandle, all of Oklahoma, and Eastern Colorado. The Texas Republic map shows Texas including all of Oklahoma, part of Kansas, Eastern Colorado, and even a little of Wyoming. The Louisiana Purchase predates Texas by roughly 40 years. So when did the United States cede all that land to Texas? Eventually someone in Washington DC would have taken notice that Texas was claiming land owned by the USA.

cowboy43":18n3efao said:
Just look at the US but on a smaller scale and the Country of Texas having to pay for everything they now receive from the US government. We no longer pay in more than we receive from them. All the same gov't problems, handling an influx of immigrants from the USA as well as Mexico and having to support an army, navy, and air force, have a postal service, foreign treaties, setting up embassies, handling national debt (Texas gave those areas of the original republic that went up to Wyoming back to the US to pay debt it owed at that time). A lot more to it than putting 150 Texas Rangers in cars instead of horses and calling yourself a legitimate country.

A lot of good points, but yet we will never really know. Manifest Destiny? Except Canada prevailed without us taking them over and they are stuck between the lower 48 and Alaska. So I gotta think "just maybe" they would have let us be.

Yes about the panhandle too CB. All the way up. Most of New Mexico and continuing on up to the Platte. Those folks in Colorado wouldn't hate us for abandonning them after we paid them with land that was to become a U.S. territory.

The lands in the state were swallowed up in a hurry. We joined the U.S. Free of cost to them. 20 more years on our own and the land all the way up to the Platte would have been settled. Melting pot would have been a little hotter.

But the truth is, we will never know. We could still be setting more like western Canada.

Or things could have been much worse too.

This was popular when I lived there. I don't think most were joking..

6a00df351efa888833017ee49dda9b970d-pi

TexasBred":3h7p1qzk said:
Just look at the US but on a smaller scale and the Country of Texas having to pay for everything they now receive from the US government. We no longer pay in more than we receive from them. All the same gov't problems, handling an influx of immigrants from the USA as well as Mexico and having to support an army, navy, and air force, have a postal service, foreign treaties, setting up embassies, handling national debt (Texas gave those areas of the original republic that went up to Wyoming back to the US to pay debt it owed at that time). A lot more to it than putting 150 Texas Rangers in cars instead of horses and calling yourself a legitimate country.

And then someone comes along and screws up a perfectly good moist dream with facts. Darn it! Personally, I hate it when that happens.