Dear Diary

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
Got up Friday morning bright and early and drank my coffee as I was walking down to the equipment shed. Disconnected the shredder from the 1486 and hooked up the hay mower. Brought everything to the house and got the grease gun down. Out of grease. Go to shed to get a new tube. Box is empty. Found another grease gun that had some grease (a little). Managed to greas one zerk fitting and out of grease. Found a 5 gal. container of Marfax and filled tube by hand. Grease everywhere. Grease where grease should never be! How did that happen. I don't remember scratching there :shock:

Anyway, got in the hay field by 8am. Started cutting in 4th gear. Choke mower. Got down and adjusted tension on belts. Started again - choke mower. Drop to 3rd gear. Better but - - - choke mower. Adjust belts again and start mowing. Choke mower. Drop to 2nd. Mowing fine but can walk faster that tractor is moving. Make two rounds and notice alternator amp meter is pegged (had been smelling something "electrical" for the past 5 minutes). Shut tractor off, walk to house, call supplier in town and arrange to pick new alternator. $120 and an hour later I'm mowing again. Choke mower, drop to 1st gear, choke mower, tighten belts again, choke mower, smoke from belt area on mower. Call supplier again to verify he had belts (I asked if he had them while buying alternator). It's late so I asked if he would just set them outside and I would pick them up. Said he would wait.

Two hours later (had to pull the skirt off to get the cover of the belts off) and I'm mowing again, 2nd gear, choke mower, adjust belts (new belts), mow, adjust belts, etc.

It's now 8:45 pm and starting to get a little dark. Got about 6 acres down - not too bad considering I can usually do about 5-6 acres an hour! Grass is so thick that most of the time it won't fall when cut.

Saturday morning, repeat routine, grease equipment, grease gun empty, fill with Marfax, how did I get grease there (I don't remember scratching there)? Managed to cut another 2 acres and - you guessed it - started to rain. Come to house and check blades on mower. Found two stations that were mounted upside down (How the heck did that happen????). No new blades, too late to go to town, found some old blades and found a couple that could be used. Put them on - day shot.

Sunday morning, had breakfast (that was a treat) and waited until about 10 am. Bright sun, hot, gentle breeze, PERFECT! Got rake ready by greasing (fill tube with Marfax, how did grease get .....) and replacing a few rake teeth. Got to field by 11 am and rolled everything over to dry bottom side. By 5 pm hay cut on Friday is nice and dry. Roll over again and get baler. Baler was greased before I put it up last year. Checked everything out, killed a couple of yellow jacket nests, went to field. First bale done, everything worked just great, tied perfect, cut the string perfect, alarm worked perfect, it's gonna be OK. Closed door and moved into position for second bale. As door was closing heard a POP and baler stopped turning, sheared those dadgum pins. Rummage around and found 6 bolts (pins) and three nuts (they're metric). Put one bolt in and twised it off. OK got two nuts left and five bolts. Didn't tighten the nuts to preserve what I have left. We're baling again.

Gosh, I love it when a plan comes together. Everything is working great, spitting out one bale every 100 to 150 yards (hay is very good). 20 bales down and haven't made a complete round yet when BANG, very loud but baler is still turning. Full bale alarm goes off and everything ties just fine and I kick the bale out, close the door and start wrapping the next one. Tie it and kickit out but I notice it's really funny looking, mis-shappen. What the heck caused that? Check baler to determine what broke. Found cable connecting tension springs to arm at top of baler broken.

That does it. I'm out of business until Monday (maybe) when I can replace the cable. Baler's choked anyway and I'm too tired to clean it out and it's too dark. Go to house, eat a SPAM sandwich, take a shower and go to bed.

The phone rings about 10:30. It's my wife informing me that my best friend's no. 2 daughter had just been found dead in her apt. Don't know what happened but it looks like suicide. Get up, close the gates, load up and come home to be with family. To HEII with the hay.

ET - Sorry about the way your luck is running. Suicides are tough because everybody close to her figures out a way to blame themselves for missing some obvious (it was actually obscure) sign.

Wisest thing I heard about a suicide was from the guy's Mother. She said, we'll just never understand what went on in his mind to make him do this. (The guy was about 22ish.) She wasn't blaming herself, her husband, the Lord or anyone else, it just was what it was.

Cuz

CUZ":18lmv2zq said:
ET - Sorry about the way your luck is running. Suicides are tough because everybody close to her figures out a way to blame themselves for missing some obvious (it was actually obscure) sign.

Wisest thing I heard about a suicide was from the guy's Mother. She said, we'll just never understand what went on in his mind to make him do this. (The guy was about 22ish.) She wasn't blaming herself, her husband, the Lord or anyone else, it just was what it was.

Cuz

Ain't it so, Cuz. We spent most of the day with her family yesterday and everyone was trying to figure out what we missed that could have saved her life. I told her Mother that of all her kids G.L. was the strong one. We will never know what pushed her over the edge. Man, sometimes life sucks.

Earl so sorry to hear that sort of news. my condolences to you and her family...God Bless you all......don't think you will ever know what goes on in someone else's mind, suicide is a great tragedy, for the one's left behind.

Depression is a killer, it is real and it is real powerful. The ones you don't think will do it are exactly the ones that will.

I am sure this year's drought pushed an aquantance of mine over the edge this year. He was proud of his cows and had built a fine herd over many, many years. This spring we had no grazing, little to no hay and no relief was in sight. One day I noticed all his cows were gone. Three weeks later he killed himself.

Its a shame.

Earl, I'm sorry to hear about your friends daughter.
Don't beat yourselves up over it. Lost three friends to suicide. One I was pretty close to, I beat myself up for years before finally accepting what happened. Woulda, coulda, shoulda will drive you insane, avoid it, if you can.

I am really sorry about the loss. Only the Good Lord knows why.

Folks, I just want to thank all of you for your kind words. I will make sure that the family gets the condolences. It will make them feel a little bit better I'm sure. I think I'm just going to leave it right here. Can't get the rest of it out.

Thanks,

The bailin sounds awful familiar. You had a day! And very sorry about your friends daughter. Prayers to the family!

Latest posts