DEAD CALVES?!?!?!

Help Support CattleToday:

famerboy360

Reaction score
I have a hereford-angus x cow who was bred with a holstien bull, she aborted dead twins, 2 heifers, one of them was deformed, and the other had the ambiblical cord ripped from its stomach...but thats not the weird part, my uncle who has a dairy farm had the SAME EXACT THING (with the exception of having one bull and one heifer) happen to him...both cows were bred with the same bull...idk if it is something with the bull, weather conditions, or just a coinsidence...if you have any suggestions or might have an idea going on please let me kow...my uncle has more cattle bred with the same bull who have not calved yet...so i will keep you posted and let you know if anymore cattle do the same thing

:shock: Now that would get my attention real quick!

Alice

famerboy360":1r4hpcsp said:
I have a hereford-angus x cow who was bred with a holstien bull, she aborted dead twins, 2 heifers, one of them was deformed, and the other had the ambiblical cord ripped from its stomach...but thats not the weird part, my uncle who has a dairy farm had the SAME EXACT THING (with the exception of having one bull and one heifer) happen to him...both cows were bred with the same bull...idk if it is something with the bull, weather conditions, or just a coinsidence...if you have any suggestions or might have an idea going on please let me kow...my uncle has more cattle bred with the same bull who have not calved yet...so i will keep you posted and let you know if anymore cattle do the same thing

Way too many variables to even hazard a guess. You don't mention how many cows have calved successfully, whether they are first timer calvers or not, how many are in question, what your health program is, what these cows have been eating, or whether they are penned or on pasture. Twins are always a crap shoot - there are simply too many things that can go wrong when there is more than one calf involved. In the interest of broadening my scope of thinking - would you mind sharing why you bred your cow(s) with a Holstein bull? Thanks!

Latest posts