Dead bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Found my best bred heifer dead today and I have no idea why. Fully vaccinated wormed and healthy. When I found her there was part of the fetus hanging out very underdeveloped. Is it normal for a pregnant cow to have the fetus come out when they die or was she trying to abort the calf and died from complications. She was a big 1st calf heifer probably around 1100lbs bred to low birth weight Angus bull for a Feb calf.20201125_082004.jpg

Last edited:
No, it is not normal for the fetus to be expelled, she was aborting the calf. Could be any number of things, a necropsy might find the cause but in my experience it won't give you a definitive answer, just another vet bill. And not to be a wise crack but you are looking at it wrong, your best heifer is still walking around.

I've seen both; cows that died aborting and cows that aborted while under the stress of dying.
Could have been a number of things from hardware, complications aborting, to lightning.
It always seems like it's the better animals that end up getting dead. Hope you can get it figured out, but that's a tough one.

Sorry to hear (and see) that. Similar thing happened to me years ago except it was an "oops baby", didn't even know she was bred. Fine that morning, dead, trying to abort that afternoon - and it was still early in gestation.

Lost a beautiful bred heifer last year and have no idea why. There were coyote hunters out that morning and it's possible she was hit by a stray bullet, but with her thick winter coat, I couldn't find any evidence.

I did on one side couldn't flip her obviously and when I got her drug off I forgot to check the other side. I highly doubt she was shot I lease everything around that farm

Latest posts