DDGS

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
Can ddgs be fed as a sole ration. Someone commented that it had to be mixed with whole corn or something with fat or protein.

Is sweet corn silage worth the price of trucking it to my farm. I also heard that sweet corn silage is just a filler.

Please inform me.

No, DDGS should not be fed as a sole ingredient of a ration. It has too much protein and fat and will cause issues. Research finds that up to 50% is about all you should do, and that is in limited situations - 10-30% is more common.

Having said that, in some rations it could be possible for DDGS to be the only non-roughage component. Corn stalks and DDGS, mixed together with a balancing supplement, could be fed to mature cows.

From what I understand about sweet corn silage, it will have lower energy levels than corn silage. Have it tested if in doubt and determine its value from there. If its next door, yeah, it's probably worth it to haul it to your place if the stuff is free. If you're going a long distance for it, you'll have to determine that yourself.

could i leave the ddgs in a bunk for them to free feed, and free feed hay? or would i need to add other ingrediants.

johndeereboy":i2bt215x said:
could i leave the ddgs in a bunk for them to free feed, and free feed hay? or would i need to add other ingrediants.
I would not do that as they will eat as much of the ddgs as you would feed them and leave the hay.

somn":342y2qvo said:
johndeereboy":342y2qvo said:
I would not do that as they will eat as much of the ddgs as you would feed them and leave the hay.

Sorry to but in here guys but what exactly is ddgs?

BlackBaldyMan":3kzqte7d said:
somn":3kzqte7d said:
johndeereboy":3kzqte7d said:

its dryed disstillers grains.

bigbull338":3jbqe0pl said:
BlackBaldyMan":3jbqe0pl said:
somn":3jbqe0pl said:
johndeereboy":3jbqe0pl said:

its dryed disstillers grains.

With solubles.

DDGS (distillers dried grains & solubles) should be limit fed, not free choice; it's like candy to the cows.

sweet corn silage is pretty much 75% water with little nutrional value, but mixed with wet distillers can become a decent cheap feed

The thing about sweetcorn silage, it has the grain taken out of it. High water content and low on nutrients. You should feed it with high quality hay.

Latest posts