ddg & Johnson grass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

morancher

Reaction score
I have johnson grass hay that the test says to only feed 50% as part of the ration to preg cows. My question is what kind of supplement can I formulate with ddg's to get in line with recommendations. I feed the hay free choice.

morancher":tdr3wml5 said:
I have johnson grass hay that the test says to only feed 50% as part of the ration to preg cows. My question is what kind of supplement can I formulate with ddg's to get in line with recommendations. I feed the hay free choice.
I think you need another hay source. Something to compliment the 50% Johnson Grass. DDG is high protein and would need to be feed in very small amounts. You certainly don't want to feed 50% DDG.

We need to know what your hay report said, to give you the best advice for a supliment..i.e protein %, digestible nutrients, dry matter content and any others it may have provided.

morancher":1q8bwww7 said:

Why does the jg hay need to be limited to only 50%? Where are you located?

Would think it would be hard to limit the jg hay to 50% if fed free choice. Any other hay you could alternate feeding with the jg? I suppose you could limit access to the jg bales to only 1-2 hrs a day or every other day and hold the cows in a separate trap the rest of the time to limit feed the ddgs or whatever. Soy hulls are the first thing that come to mind but they have gotten terribly expensive. Maybe look into some of the rice byproducts, corn stalks or other crop residues. Probably need to find a good feed broker and nutritionist, but do it NOW as their phones are probably starting to ring off the hook. Last year some Texas brokers quit taking new customers as they were having trouble finding enough ingredients for their existing customers.

Are you aware that the high sulfur levels in the ddgs will cause problems if too much is fed. Probably need to test the sulfur levels in your water also.

morancher":2ecc0dm5 said:
Thanks,

DM 92%
TDN 45%
NO3 0.6%
Protein 8.8%

Much too high in nitrates..I wouldn't even feed 50% without someway to mix it and know I was limiting the intake of the stuff... .2% is max to be safe.

Latest posts