Daughter getting bites?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
My teen daughter is getting what we assume is some kind of bug bite on her legs, and legs only. It's just a little red bump, and she says they itch. It's not too many at a time, maybe 5 or 6. They will run a course, and then she will say, I got another one.

I don't see any bed bugs. If it were bed bugs going untreated, wouldn't she be eaten alive with bites? I hear that bed bugs are visible. If it were, couldn't a person feel them? Wouldn't she feel like her skin was crawling? We don't have dogs or cats, so I assume not fleas. Is there a bug that can get you in the dead of winter? Could it be an allergy to the detergent or something. Sorry, I don't have pictures. Thanks.

We are having very early spring like weather here, I would guess daffodils are a month early and the grass is growing. Along with that comes the bugs, a very small bug can leave a big welt. While we don't have some of the bugs you folks have we have a tiny winged black nat like bug, we call "no see ems". Very hard to see and I can't tell when they land on me, but I sure know it as soon as they bite and they leave a good size red bump that really itches....... Anyway it's hard to say, but I feel your daughters pain.

I certainly appreciate the responses. I guess it could be spiders, but I don't see any spiders, I would assume a spider bite would leave a more serious looking bite, and I've never had this situation with spiders before.

It's not chiggers because we don't have them this time of year.

Sounds like fleas. Is she going in a barn or someplace you don't normally go into? Stray cat could set up shop and infest a local area and the fleas are very aggressive and tend to bite low on the leg leaving itchy spots. I learned this by going in an old barn once and the fleas made a feast of me. Wouldn't have known they were on me had the owner of the barn not warned me but when he did I saw I was covered in them.

Check her bed and bed sheets for bed bugs. Take the box springs off and check under same. Check under the slats that support the box springs. Google a picture of a bed bug so you know what to look for. They are becoming common. Did she recently stay in a motel? They can catch a ride home in the baggage.

Jogeephus":3ijkqh34 said:
Sounds like fleas. Is she going in a barn or someplace you don't normally go into? Stray cat could set up shop and infest a local area and the fleas are very aggressive and tend to bite low on the leg leaving itchy spots. I learned this by going in an old barn once and the fleas made a feast of me. Wouldn't have known they were on me had the owner of the barn not warned me but when he did I saw I was covered in them.

I was also thinking fleas.

Rafter S":2cft21rp said:
Jogeephus":2cft21rp said:

I was also thinking fleas.

X3, strays, neighbor dogs, cats, rabbits ect.

I would guess fleas too. Do you have foxes around, they are nasty little flee carriers. If you are having an early spring the flees would already be in your grass.
http://www.fleabites.net/
Wash her bedding in hot water and vacuum her room really well.

When I was little maybe 7 or 8 I had bites all over my legs and my Mom thought that I was bitten by spiders. She washed everything in my room and cleaned really wel but it turned out I was coming down with the chicken pox. I never had a full outbreak, just a few spots on my legs and back.

If they are very small and from the knee down, I can almost guarantee they are flees also. Has she been to a friends house? Walked across a lawn where stay cats hang out?

Brute 23":3cu9vuni said:
Hook":3cu9vuni said:
Chiggers maybe

My guess too. You can get chippers in your bed and they will keep getting you.

My buddy and I were working cows last year in our boat shoes and shorts during the summer. The next day they had us tore up. We were both in a bind.

I suppose it's possible, but I never heard of anyone having trouble with chiggers (I grew up calling them redbugs) this time of year. They also concentrate on places where your clothes are tight, like under socks, behind your knee, and around your waist. I still think it's fleas.

I agree with bed bugs. You do not normally see them, they hide when the lights go on.nthey are becoming a big problem out here in the area. They hard to get rid of once you have them too.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3h2foqmc said:
I agree with bed bugs. You do not normally see them, they hide when the lights go on.nthey are becoming a big problem out here in the area. They hard to get rid of once you have them too.

As a hotel owner I am quite familiar with bed bugs. We had a group of pipelines come in 2 years ago and we got them in 2 of our hotel rooms. The house keepers saw spots of blood on the sheets, so we tore the room apart. Cut the fabric off of the bottoms of the bed springs and look in there. That's where they will usually be hiding. It takes us 3 days to eliminate them from a room. After paying Terminex $300.00 per room to treat, we just buy the same stuff and treat them our selves. Thankfully we haven't had any in a year and a half.

We buy the chemical from DIYpestcontrol.com