Data throttling

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":364d9ij1 said:
boondocks":364d9ij1 said:
Jogeephus":364d9ij1 said:
...... At the end of the day its more of an inconvenience and a reminder of how the consumer has little to no voice in Washington.

Bingo.

Yall think Washington should force private companies to give every one unlimited data? :shock:
If you buy a unlimited data plan it shouldn't slow down because you used to much data. I don't see anyone complaining because they went over their plan.

Brute 23":2jeq8e98 said:
boondocks":2jeq8e98 said:
Jogeephus":2jeq8e98 said:
...... At the end of the day its more of an inconvenience and a reminder of how the consumer has little to no voice in Washington.

Bingo.

Yall think Washington should force private companies to give every one unlimited data? :shock:

I don't think private companies should be forced to give everyone unlimited data, but I do think you should get what you pay for. And while hiding details in the fine print may be legal, it's misleading nonetheless.

On a side note, forget about data. I have a IPhone 6s that's 3(+) years old and if it gets any slower and sorrier I'm gonna resort back to a string and a can. And I'm not exaggerating. In the last 8 months it has went from being fine, to dropping calls, to the point where if I'm at home I have to walk outside just to send a text. I can't even talk or text much less use data. Verizon admittedly slowed these phones down in order to "persuade" customers to upgrade. I'm not paying $1000 for a cell phone. That goes against everything in my upbringing. Especially when they will do the same thing to the new phone in the near future.

JMJ Farms":zl5mq6mg said:
Brute 23":zl5mq6mg said:
boondocks":zl5mq6mg said:

I don't think private companies should be forced to give everyone unlimited data, but I do think you should get what you pay for. And while hiding details in the fine print may be legal, it's misleading nonetheless.

On a side note, forget about data. I have a IPhone 6s that's 3(+) years old and if it gets any slower and sorrier I'm gonna resort back to a string and a can. And I'm not exaggerating. In the last 8 months it has went from being fine, to dropping calls, to the point where if I'm at home I have to walk outside just to send a text. I can't even talk or text much less use data. Verizon admittedly slowed these phones down in order to "persuade" customers to upgrade. I'm not paying $1000 for a cell phone. That goes against everything in my upbringing. Especially when they will do the same thing to the new phone in the near future.
I broke my camera lens again on my note 5 and the insurance company said no more insurance policies for phones over a year old. I guess I'm upgrading next time I have problems. It'll only be a short while now before you spend a $1k on a new phone. You know you can't live without one.

boondocks":jx6gdudi said:
Jogeephus":jx6gdudi said:

Bingo.

Just look at who we send to Washington to represent us. We need to make better decisions.

hurleyjd":151bvp01 said:
boondocks":151bvp01 said:
Jogeephus":151bvp01 said:

Bingo.

Just look at who we send to Washington to represent us. We need to make better decisions.
We did in 2016.

Brute 23":r5gh7xio said:
boondocks":r5gh7xio said:
Jogeephus":r5gh7xio said:

Bingo.

No, but I think they should sell everyone that wants and can afford it, unlimited data.

Brute 23":a383r5bo said:
Most all enet plans are like that now. I don't know of one that doesn't throttle after a certain amount.

So are you saying that you are fine with entering into an agreement with an oil company for 1000 gallons of fuel each month for your ten vehicles but are only able use no more than 100 gallons in each vehicle each month and you have to return all the unused fuel to the oil company so they can sell it to someone else? This is what they are doing.

In my view you should be able to use the 1000 gallons in any vehicle you choose as long as you don't exceed the 1000 gallon limit. But then again, this example may not be the best since it involves a LIMIT and we are talking Verizon's UNLIMITED Plan..... my bad.

The plans ARE unlimited... it never cuts you off!

Read your contracts. You are not being mislead. If you don't like it... don't sign up.

If you think you can do it better... go start your own communication company.

I'm done... I'm losing hope for this world reading this thread. :roll:

Brute 23":2aslcgaw said:

Read your contracts. You are not being mislead. If you don't like it... don't sign up.

I've got a lot of respect for you Brute. Your posts are clear and logical and I usually agree 100%. I certainly mean no disrespect by this post. :tiphat:

But Verizon has mislead its customers. Verizon admitted to overselling the network. Verizon was caught throttling Netflix. Apple admitted to slowing down older iPhones. Apple has been investigated for planned obsolescence. As has Samsung. AT&T, Bellsouth, DishNetwork..... all these major companies of this nature bend the rules to the fullest.

They shouldn't be able to sell something they don't have. And they should be required to be more transparent. They take advantage of the fact that they have limited competition and also the fact that the current technology is over the majority of people's heads. Myself included. Illegal? Probably not. Misleading or deceitful? Yes.

JMJ Farms":1fo7117k said:
Brute 23":1fo7117k said:

I've got a lot of respect for you Brute. Your posts are clear and logical and I usually agree 100%. I certainly mean no disrespect by this post. :tiphat:

But Verizon has mislead its customers. Verizon admitted to overselling the network. Verizon was caught throttling Netflix. Apple admitted to slowing down older iPhones. Apple has been investigated for planned obsolescence. As has Samsung. AT&T, Bellsouth, DishNetwork..... all these major companies of this nature bend the rules to the fullest.

They shouldn't be able to sell something they don't have. And they should be required to be more transparent. They take advantage of the fact that they have limited competition and also the fact that the current technology is over the majority of people's heads. Myself included. Illegal? Probably not. Misleading or deceitful? Yes.

No doubt. I don't disagree. That is not what happened in the article though. Some one purchasing for emergency services that depend on this data should not be "mislead". Its in the contract or its not. This was. The purchaser screwed up. :tiphat:

So in Jo's example, youre buying access to unlimited gallons of oil; however, after you use 800 gallons, the valve is throttled back to deliver a qt an hour until the month resets. Unlimited quantity, but the rate is quite limited.
Its tricky business dealing with these major communication companies. They're light years ahead of govt regulation and intervention. Partly due to the nature of technology and partly due to the ineffective nature of our govt. Its hard for me to defend a company like Verizon, knowing they utilized billions of taxpayer dollars to build the infrastructure (especially in rural areas), in the form of assistance from the govt, and now, rake in the cash because our society is so dependent upon cellular communication.
I do agree with Brute in that no one is forcing folks to use their service.

bball":fz7eozs1 said:
So in Jo's example, youre buying access to unlimited gallons of oil; however, after you use 800 gallons, the valve is throttled back to deliver a qt an hour until the month resets. Unlimited quantity, but the rate is quite limited.
Its tricky business dealing with these major communication companies. They're light years ahead of govt regulation and intervention. Partly due to the nature of technology and partly due to the ineffective nature of our govt. Its hard for me to defend a company like Verizon, knowing they utilized billions of taxpayer dollars to build the infrastructure (especially in rural areas), in the form of assistance from the govt, and now, rake in the cash because our society is so dependent upon cellular communication.

Exactly... and I agree :nod:

bball":12cnpomo said:

That is how it works for a single phone but in the case of multiple unit entities such as firefighters or law enforcement it is more complicated and doesn't work based on the total you pay for but rather a total rationed to each unit.

Instead, the 800 gallons of fuel is equally divided between all your units and each unit has the same cap on it. So what happens is your two fire trucks are allocated 200 gallons of fuel, your three pickups are allocated another 300 gallons of fuel and your two 4-wheelers are allocated another 200 gallons of fuel making your total of 800. Obviously the two fire trucks use more fuel than anything else and at the end of the month you haven't exceeded your total yet they have throttled your fire trucks back to a drip of fuel as was the case with the command center.

The work around for this is to do just what the fire fighters had to do which was to use the fuel/data allocated to the four wheelers and at the end of the fire I'd be willing to bet they still had unused fuel/data just as I do.

Jogeephus":1vw8dyti said:
bball":1vw8dyti said:

That is how it works for a single phone but in the case of multiple unit entities such as firefighters or law enforcement it is more complicated and doesn't work based on the total you pay for but rather a total rationed to each unit.

Instead, the 800 gallons of fuel is equally divided between all your units and each unit has the same cap on it. So what happens is your two fire trucks are allocated 200 gallons of fuel, your three pickups are allocated another 300 gallons of fuel and your two 4-wheelers are allocated another 200 gallons of fuel making your total of 800. Obviously the two fire trucks use more fuel than anything else and at the end of the month you haven't exceeded your total yet they have throttled your fire trucks back to a drip of fuel as was the case with the command center.

The work around for this is to do just what the fire fighters had to do which was to use the fuel/data allocated to the four wheelers and at the end of the fire I'd be willing to bet they still had unused fuel/data just as I do.

Thank you for the explanation good sir.

You pay for roads, right? that's an "unlimited" plan, but what if you were only allowed to drive 100 miles a month per vehicle? Or after 100 miles you're only allowed to go 5mph?
But feel free to use other roads.

bball":ufmbeagq said:
Jogeephus":ufmbeagq said:
bball":ufmbeagq said:

Thank you for the explanation good sir.

Most likely this was a straight data plan that goes along with that one modem. We have them with both verizon and at&t thru our company account to operate our comm systems. 10G a day is not that much for some thing like that depending how how many data points and how often your polling.

Ours have never throttled us when we went over. We just get an additional charge per gig over. We have never been more than a few gigs over though either.

The bad thing is in their situation they would have to pay for a huge data plan on that device that probably doesn't get used that often but when they need it they need it.

They must have really good cell service in their area that they can depend on a system like that. We have quite a few dead spots around here and have to bounce signals all over to communicate to our pads.. and they are stationary. I guess they could be using satellite tracking like the tracking collars we hunt with and sending it to the mobile van. They probably park it some where they can send the data out from to the host site.

I do the comms, data plans, cell plans, etc for our area at work and it has me curious now how they are set up.

The communication technology is just going crazy in general. They cant keep up with the infrastructure to service all the new devices. Every things is right now... in real time... access it from any where.

Y'all still defending Verizon missed the tech article I linked where they ADMITTED they didn't adequately disclose the throttling.
I was on the original *truly* unlimited AT&T plan--from back before streaming was a thing, so there was zero throttling. They always tried to get me to drop the plan to a cheaper one, because I used extremely little data.(Almost none, back then). But I paid for the pricey unlimited policy because I'd heard horror stories of crazy surcharges for data overage. Fast forward many years: I took an overnight Amtrak trip and watched a couple tv shows while riding. All of a sudden, I couldn't even get a simple webpage to load. When it didn't get better, I called AT&T the next day and they said I'd been throttled (not the term they used, but that's what they were doing); they said my data would "re-set" at the end of the billing period and I could then get back on the internet. They couldn't even tell me what the data limit was for throttling to take place; they said it varied by geography and date, and was based on average use in a given zone over a particular time. I was gobsmacked. They said they had a right to unilaterally change the terms of my contract because of some supposed catch-all provision in my contract (of many years earlier) that gave them the right to change anything at any time with no notice! They admitted I had used almost zero data, month after month, for years and years, while on an unlimited plan, but throttled me nonetheless.

Latest posts