Dart Guns

Help Support CattleToday:

Hard to follow the BQA guidelines with one. If it's going to be used for nothing but tranqs maybe they would have a place.

dun":1jd7ijua said:
Hard to follow the BQA guidelines with one. If it's going to be used for nothing but tranqs maybe they would have a place.
not hard at all just neck shoot them

as for types I would go with the rifle it is more accurate from what I have been told and DON'T get a Co2 charged one go with the powder fired ones
Jed can give you more info on them I have used his and really liked it I am thinking about getting one myself would be real handy since most of my pastures are a mile or more away from my corrals
they are a little pricey
I believe 6-800

dun":4bvoqlee said:

Rodeo bred cattle. Sometimes they would have a need around here. I understand what your sayin tho about the guidelines. Only reason I'm considering one is I lost a calf this week because I couldn't get the cow caught in time. Tryin to rope one in 2" of rain isn't fun and even a bit dangerous to the animals.

m&kCattle":qs5yfuz6 said:
dun":qs5yfuz6 said:

Rodeo bred cattle. Sometimes they would have a need around here. I understand what your sayin tho about the guidelines. Only reason I'm considering one is I lost a calf this week because I couldn't get the cow caught in time. Tryin to rope one in 2" of rain isn't fun and even a bit dangerous to the animals.
I friend of mine uses a muzzleloader. Not sure what caliber but the darts fit the barrel correctly. Not sure how much powder he uses either. He likes it because he also uses it for ML deer season

I have one of the co2 charged rifle. It is a cap-chur brand. I have had it for 15 yrs. Most of the time they shoot straight, sometimes they spiral out of the barrel. depends on the strenth of co2 cartriges.About 60 to 80 ft max before the dart starts falling. The c02 has a short range and a long range selector, Pull the bolt back once for up close, and all the way back for a longer shot,The thing about the rifle charged ones is, you better be a good judge of distance, or get a range finder. You shoot a cow up to close, you"ll shoot through the cow.Saw the county animal control bury a 10cc dart up to the tail piece, in a cow last year.Shot her at about 80ft. I knew then i didnt want one of those. You can use them to catch, deworm and give meds. Their handy to have around. Let the word get out you have one,and it will pay for it's self, in a little while.

I have a crossbow. Haven't used it since I had a big pink eye problem but it sure was handy during that trying time. BQA guidelines went out the window. I was just proud to hit them and make it stick.

I have posted several times in response to this question. I bought the rifle, c0-2 charged. It is the best investment I have ever made. You do not have to handle the sick animal, just drive up within 100 ft and shoot in the neck. I have used it mostly for respiratory problems, but occasionally for tranquilizing. LA-200 and Pennicillin are too thick to use with it, but it is perfect for Micatil and Draxxin. The Cap-Chur rifle and the Pneu-Dart disposable darts work perfect for my situation. I get the gel collar darts with stabilizers on the dart. The smaller darts fly faster and further than the large darts---but the size depends on how much medicine you are shooting. Like I said, I have posted several times on this, so if you want more info, don't hesitate to PM. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you Tex. When you first mentioned a crossbow I thought you were kidding. I'm a crossbow hunter so I got it wrong. This is a great option. Thank you. :tiphat:

Dixieangus":218vy6tx said:
im looking at the crossbow one...does anyone know how much they are... thanks
Last I knew, about $400. Click on the posted link as they should be priced on there.

I use the Pneu-Dart Air Rifle 178B, purchased from Livestock concepts. If you grew up with a Benjamin pump pellet rifle, you easily understand the manual of arms. As I read several threads, mostly where people have suffered through crazy cattle, I simply think "Dart Em!"

The only thing worth mentioning is to be sure of access to the Xylazine (Rompun). One vet was freaked out, "That's what killed Michael Jackson !" Despite my assurances that Michael J. and I were never runnin' buddies, he would sell me any. No problem. My current vet is a large animal vet and I have more experience darting them than he does. Also, if you decide to dart, ask for the book, "Shooting the Bull".

Good luck.

Swamper

Hey from Georgia....I have a question and hope someone on here can help me. :???:

We have a 4 yr old female Bison, and we have her sold. She killed on one of my LGD's and now she has to go. We have her sold to a man that has a herd of them and he raises the bull calves for meat. Our issue is we can't catch her, we have built a catch pen and she wants no part of that. So my vet suggested darting her. The vet has the meds to knock her out and bring her back, just no gun. I have heard that they can be tricky, putting them to sleep. Anyone have any experience with Bison? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :help:

I saw one given enough rompum to kill it twice jump a 6 foot gate if that helps.

With the medi-dart you have choices on which needle types you can use. Selecting the right type makes a world of difference whether or not the dart will stick or bounce off. I noticed a world of difference between cattle with ear and those without. Also the age of the animal has a lot to do with the needle selection. I'm sure medi-dart has a better description on what type needle to use for what type hide. Its been so long since I used mine I can't remember. BTW - the vet will need to practice some cause the second shot comes a lot harder than the first and the third shot is very difficult if the animal is ornery and wise.

I bought the pneudart 178b and am not very happy with it. First it is about 50:50 whether the dart will stick even when it hits. It either is too strong and bounces off or too weak and bounces off. I called the manufacturer a few times and they were not helpful, not really rude but indifferent. Of course they said I needed to spend more and buy the practice darts. I did and became better at shooting but after being shot once the animals won't come anywhere near me. The darts can only be purchased through pneudart, are expensive and not reusable. Even after practicing my accuracy is less than 50%. The videos make it look very easy but it is not nearly that easy to get close enough to an animal and than put an accurate shot. Money woulda been better spent toward a head gate and building a corral.

Latest posts