Danny

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
My guts are in a knot. My boxer Danny showed up this morning with a gunshot wound. Looks like a 22. Went in on the back left of his rib cage and exited the front right. No way in heck it didn't hit vitals. I'm amazed he is still alive. I don't know what to do. The vet said if he is alert and standing he has a good chance to pull throug. His breathing seems slightly labored when he is standing but more so when he is laying down, which he won't do on his own. He drinks a lot, but refuses to eat anything. He just wanders slowly thru the house with his tail between his legs. I just gave him some pain medicine. I just don't want him to suffer. I got the bleeding completely stopped this morning, but can one survive a thru and thru to the chest that looks like it was perfectly placed? I'm sick at my stomach.

Yes animals are tuff and can withstand stuff that would kill us. I ran my wife's cat over with the Kubota RTV and it was bleeding from the mouth and sounded like it's lungs we gone. Miss kitty is still living and doing her job in the barn. I will not put any of our pets down till I'am sure they won't make it. I would of bet the farm she was going to die. Good Luck hope he pulls through.

.22 doesn't do much unless it bounces around inside. If it exited he stands a good chance of healing up unless he gets septic or bleeds out internal. Check his gums for pinkness. That will tell you about bleeding. Keep him hydrated. Dose him up with some la300. It's broad spectrum so we help if there some sepsis from intestinal or stomach wounds.take all this with a grain of salt because you know I'm no vet.

That's a tear-jerker for sure. I wish I had answer for you.
I'm not someone who places a whole lot of confidence on vets but if you like yours and they said you had a chance then it's time to wait and see.
Good luck with him.

Red Bull Breeder":2quc0obw said:
Thats a bad deal Isom. I don't like folks who shoot dogs for no reason other being a dog.
I just don't know the other side of the story or who did it. He wasn't home this morning but he almost never leaves the pasture. I've never seen him chase an animal. He has never gotten out of earshot in his life. But, he is a dog, and he could have been chasing someone's calves I guess. I'm not mad about him being shot, I'm flippin angry that they used a .22 and didn't do it right. If a dog is running my cows he won't return home, and I won't use a dam 22 and wound one. My kids are beside themselves.

About 10 years ago a guy down the road shot one of my dogs with a .22 and didn't kill it. It came home bleeding on my front porch. The guy told his neighbor (who knew me) that he shot at it because it was crossing his property. He has no fences, cattle or any livestock he just wanted to shoot something. He also shot another guys dog in the hip with a .22 and he had to be put down. All because the dogs couldnt read the NO TRESPASSING signs. After he bragged about it and I found out who it was I evened the score.....not on his dog but on his high dollar, jacked up 4x4 with monster tires. On my way to work one morning I drove by with my .22 and flattened all 4 tires. He got the message and moved the next week.

Hope he pulls through Iso!! As stated earlier the bullet has to bounce around from a .22 to do damage. If it was a clean through and through, hopefully he will recover from it.

Red Bull Breeder":gc6irark said:
Hoss thats what i am talking about. Isom if he was a chasing cows or killing chickens i don't got a problem with shooting a dog.
I hear ya, I am skepticle that he would chase anything. It could only be one of 4 neighbors or a driveby. I'm having a hard time imagining one of my neighbors, they all know Danny and how much he means to me. Heaven help me if I was like Hoss and found out one of them did it just because he was there.

Isomade":1mnjnhw4 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1mnjnhw4 said:
Hoss thats what i am talking about. Isom if he was a chasing cows or killing chickens i don't got a problem with shooting a dog.
I hear ya, I am skepticle that he would chase anything. It could only be one of 4 neighbors or a driveby. I'm having a hard time imagining one of my neighbors, they all know Danny and how much he means to me. Heaven help me if I was like Hoss and found out one of them did it just because he was there.

Now Buddy it is time to be calm and quite.
It will come to you in time what happened as 99% of the people have to talk.
I hate that your dog got shot as I am a dog man.
Never forget he was a dog.
I have taken some of my own out for getting stupid.

Sorry about your dog I agree with others as long as you have an exit wound and the 22 didnt ping pong around chances are he will be ok more than likely.

it wouldn't surprise me if he pulls through, but a second opinion might not hurt. i also hate these creeps that hit a dog with a car and don't have the decency to stop and tell you. good luck danny......

Isom I would have taken him to the vet asap, but and if he is still alive tomorrow morning he needs to go in first thing . Good luck and prayers for Danny, I sure hope he pulls through ! :heart:

I wish you the best on your dog. I really like Boxers. One saved me from getting destroyed a few years ago by a very determined cow!

hillsdown":2wmzd7cz said:
Isom I would have taken him to the vet asap, but and if he is still alive tomorrow morning he needs to go in first thing . Good luck and prayers for Danny, I sure hope he pulls through ! :heart:
I did, well I tried. I called the emergency line and left a message then loaded him up and sat there for an hour hoping someone would show up. An hour after I finally made the trip back home the doc called me and we went through what I was seeing and where the wound was. She said there is nothing they can do other than antibiotics and pain meds as long as he was walking around and alert. Which he has been all day. I already had the meds onhand. He's been sleeping for the past couple hours now so hopefully he will get his strength up and be better in the morning for the vet trip.

Isomade":3d5bd648 said:
hillsdown":3d5bd648 said:
I did, well I tried. I called the emergency line and left a message then loaded him up and sat there for an hour hoping someone would show up. An hour after I finally made the trip back home the doc called me and we went through what I was seeing and where the wound was. She said there is nothing they can do other than antibiotics and pain meds as long as he was walking around and alert. Which he has been all day. I already had the meds onhand. He's been sleeping for the past couple hours now so hopefully he will get his strength up and be better in the morning for the vet trip.

Resting is good , helps heal the body and mind . Keeping you all in my prayers and please keep us updated on Danny's condition and prognosis Isom. Hope you all can get some sleep too .

Sorry about your dog, and probably like hook said get him some 300, and watch his pee, and poop.
Dogs are hardy son's of gun's. My old English setter got hit by a semi, but I got him and took him into the garage, and he slept it off for a few days. It smashed his back left leg up like peanut brittle, and it swelled up to about the size of a grape fruit, but it got better and he ran around bouncing on three legs...only would use his bad leg when standing.

Latest posts