Dang Neighbors Part Deux

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4":c3n1rx08 said:
Animal plantet again.when they go on one of those calls they get Elder Care involved.. the houses are usually stuffed full of newspapers and other trash to the roof with the cats,dogs and in one case rabbits..liveing and breeding in the mess. Usually the human sees nothing wrong with the situation.

Oh, believe me. You don't want to know what was in that house.

Standard gear carried by an APS worker:

Rubber gloves
Non-perishable food items
Insect repellent
Hand sanitizer
Closed toed shoes
A change of clothing
Digital camera and laptop
Pepper spray
Fabreeze
and a lot of other stuff I can't remember now.

I don't see how anyone does that job for more than a year. It's about as depressing as it gets.

My mother's friend rented a house to some well respected professional people. Long story short, a smell brought the police and the landlady to the house and they opened the door only to find hundreds of rabbits free roaming through the house. Dung was measured in the inches on the floor. They had to demolish the house. :shock:

Jogeephus":1jattdsh said:
My mother's friend rented a house to some well respected professional people. Long story short, a smell brought the police and the landlady to the house and they opened the door only to find hundreds of rabbits free roaming through the house. Dung was measured in the inches on the floor. They had to demolish the house. :shock:

NOTHING smells worse than rabbit pee. Unless it is cat pee. Once it gets in the walls and concrete it will never go away entirely. I have know folks who just ripped out the walls to the studs and had the floors sealed and still have an smell.

Jogeephus":6q5ed196 said:
Lammie":6q5ed196 said:
How does he keep his goats in that fence? Much less the heifer?

With the exception of the crippled bull they don't keep anything on their place. There is nothing there to eat and there isn't fence one on the north side of there "ranch".

But yet he's going to "finish" the bull and butcher it?? :help: Finish it on what, I wonder.

Every day I find reasons to really hate people ~ then,in the next few seconds,I find reasons to really admire people.....Just not the same ones.

Jogeephus":1ilr576b said:
I got really mixed feelings on this.
This surprises me. You have always seemed so willing and proud to help those that cannot help themselves. In my opinion, it is an obligation, not a choice. If you do not have the authority to help (which you really don't), then you need to contact someone who can and will. If I did nothing further, I would feel so guilty every time I sat down at the supper table that I couldn't take it. If you think you are the first to comment, you are mistaken. If these people care so little that they watch this in their yard daily ~ then they don't care enough about what you say to change it.

peg4x4":1266lxzg said:
Every day I find reasons to really hate people ~ then,in the next few seconds,I find reasons to really admire people.....Just not the same ones.

I know what you mean. I think most people are good.

BeefmasterB":1266lxzg said:
But yet he's going to "finish" the bull and butcher it?? Finish it on what, I wonder.

You can't apply logic to anything these folks do. They are transplants. We have tried to be neighborly and offer our help and suggestions but it all falls on deaf ears. Friend of mine even went so far as to plant a one acre garden for them last year. He furnished the seed, fertilizer, tractor. equipment and his expertise and time to help them get a start. He even cultivated it for them. All they had to do was pick. And pick they did. They even helped themselves to his garden and never once offered to reimburse him for his time or money nor did they even offer him any of "their" vegetables. Not even a thank you.

At first these folks were a novelty. Something funny to watch. Green Acres Ranch is what I called it. Now its becoming a bit more serious and the neighbors' patience is wearing thin. Unlike Bigbull, I won't allow his goats or his zoo free roam of my place for two months. Two hours is about all it will take me to clean a dress a few goats. I'm a bad person.

Talk about bad neighbors. To do all that and not even be thanked for it, well, they deserve to be turned in.

Folks down the road have a house on, oh, about five acres, I'd say. House is on a wooded lot that's on a hillside and the house is sorta built into it. Sat vacant forever. This fella has bought it, cleaned it up some. Then he bought two horses and now I noticed he's got about six 3 wt calves he's picked up. He's got them on that hill "grazing". There is no grass, though, due to lack of sun in the trees. He also has no fence around his house so I guess those calves are standing on his porch looking for a sandwich because there is no grass. And I have not seen any hay. :mad:

Jo, bigbull.
You both seem to have the same problem with neighbors stock. Sense they don't seem to know any better and have small properties, would it be to your advantage to approach them and offer assistance. They most likely don't own a tractor or fence building tools. If you helped them by bush hogging a path for the fence and gave them a material list, then showed them how to built it. They might turn out to be good neighbors and be a long term asset to you. I know that would be doing a lot for them but it just might be a solution to your problem. Good luck,
Tom.

peg4x4":s0lypi1a said:

That was well said. I think we all feel that way at times.

Believe me, everyone in the area has tried to help and offer advice for well over a year now. None was taken cause it seems they know better than we do. As for equipment, last fall they bought a brand new tractor and implements. They also have more help than I do but it seems all they do is stand around and watch the livestock dodge cars. Folks like this have to learn for themselves. I think they will get on the learning curve when someone files a claim and their insurance company drops them for being a high risk.

If they can afford all that then they should be able to afford fencing, no more than they should need.

Jogeephus":30ww8esu said:
Believe me, everyone in the area has tried to help and offer advice for well over a year now. None was taken cause it seems they know better than we do. As for equipment, last fall they bought a brand new tractor and implements. They also have more help than I do but it seems all they do is stand around and watch the livestock dodge cars. Folks like this have to learn for themselves. I think they will get on the learning curve when someone files a claim and their insurance company drops them for being a high risk.

I think your on the right track Jo! Might even take it a step further and just have everyone call the sheriff everytime one of the animals gets out. And I wouldn't feel bad doing it either. You might actually save a life. We have all heard or seen examples of a large animal getting hit by a car, going through the windshield and killing someone inside. Some folks will never respect their neighbors but the law might get their attention!

Based on the feathers and the dead geese on the highway this afternoon it appears there was a bit of excitement in front of the Green Acres Ranch. Hope ya'll stocked up on plenty of goose meat cause the inventory appears to have been reduced by half. :mrgreen:

Lammie":2bobgqb0 said:
...other than the fact that they smell nasty.

Only the mature bucks smell. Does and doelings have no smell, bucklings have no smell until they reach the age that they go into rut. You might want to do a little research before stating 'facts' next time.

Latest posts