Dallisgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeerefarmer

Reaction score
Has anyone here planted any Dallisgrass? If so, did you have good luck getting it established?

How many lbs of seed did you plant?

How much does seed cost per lb?

I am interested in it because in my black gumbo type soils the Dallisgrass does better than my coastal. It comes out earlier in the spring and grows faster.

johndeerefarmer":17h8167t said:
Has anyone here planted any Dallisgrass? If so, did you have good luck getting it established?

How many lbs of seed did you plant?

How much does seed cost per lb?

I am interested in it because in my black gumbo type soils the Dallisgrass does better than my coastal. It comes out earlier in the spring and grows faster.

I have a Dallisgrass pasture. Planted it about 8 years ago. The seed was from Australia and was the highest germination I had ever seen.......90%.

Dallisgrass is without a doubt the best forage for cows if the conditions and soil is suited for it. Takes a heavy clay soil with no PH problems and adequate water. Good luck.

I agree with you on the long growing season. Here it comes out in March and grows til November.

If the seed heads get the orange fungus on it, cows can sometimes get wobbly, like they are drunk, but the humidity, etc. has to be perfect for that to happen. Won't hurt them bad if it happens, just clip it high to knock the seeds off.