Dairy/Ag Spanish

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
Boss hired two Hispanics that speak little or no english. They bring in a translator occasionally, but the language barrier is huge nonetheless. Boss is all for me taking Spanish classes (all he wants is one person there who can communicate with them). They don't start until October though. I've heard about a dictionary that is specifically aimed at Farm/Ranch Spanish. I did a search and found nothing. Can any of you help me? TIA!

I've heard of Spanish for farm and ranch use...I don't remember if it's a berlitz tape type of thing, or maybe it was offered at a community college...or someplace like that. Why don't you search Berlitz and see if that could help you.

Now, just to have my say here...I, personally, am all for the boss sending the Spanish speaking hired hands to classes to learn to be able to communicate in English. I know those classes exist, and lots of time they are very, very low cost. They teach enough to help the Spanish speaker get by.

You go to learn Spanish on the boss' nickle...it'll come in handy for you...BUT, the Spanish speakers have an obligation to learn English!!!!!

Alice

Heck no, don't go.

Tell those Meskins to learn English or grab their hats on the way out the door.

A second language can be handy and if the boss is paying for the classes and you don't mind you might as well go for it, but keep trying to teach them english as you go along, a second language can help them as well.

Several years ago I had a mexican man working for me, he wanted to learn english. I found a book at walmart that was patterned after the books the GIs used in WWII to learn different language. Bought it and he learned enough that we could communicate. I think you could buy the book to learn mexican also you might check there. There was a mexican girl working at Lowes, I asked her, "What nationality she was." and she replied mexican, I said you mean hispanic, she said, " No mexican, I do not think that there is a country called hiss."

hurleyjd":3i0sm943 said:
Several years ago I had a mexican man working for me, he wanted to learn english. I found a book at walmart that was patterned after the books the GIs used in WWII to learn different language. Bought it and he learned enough that we could communicate. I think you could buy the book to learn mexican also you might check there. There was a mexican girl working at Lowes, I asked her, "What nationality she was." and she replied mexican, I said you mean hispanic, she said, " No mexican, I do not think that there is a country called hiss."

There was a mexican girl working at Lowes, I asked her, "What nationality she was." and she replied mexican, I said you mean hispanic, she said, " No mexican, I do not think that there is a country called hiss."

:clap: Yes!!!!! Good for her!!!!! :clap:

Alice

MikeC":rdlg2tqw said:
Heck no, don't go.

That's 1/2 the problem, we cater to their every need. IF I were to move or sneak into a foreign country, I'd be learning how to speak the language like yesterday. :mad:

I'm amazed at the amount of dairy jobs that require their managers speak Spanish. I figure learning it will at least give me more opportunities if I ever decide to leave. I agree 100% that they should learn english. I spent 2 weeks in Brazil a couple years ago, and not for once did I expect them to know english, even though many of them did. If I would've moved there seems to me I would've invested some serious time in learning Portugese, immediately.

Teach them english and see what you get. Might as well fire them now because they probably wont hang around.

If the boss wants you to learn spanish as his expense I would do it. YOu will be better for it. Your job opportunities and job security just went up.

No matter what some people have against them and what kind of racial slanders they want to use,,, Mexicans are part of this country. By fighting it you are slowly taking yourself out of the game.

Give them jobs when they come and they are less likely to commit crimes... because they are coming any ways.

Brute 23":2yp8ubup said:
MikeC":2yp8ubup said:
Heck no, don't go.

Did it make you feel better? boost your ego? Easy to say it on the computer? :roll: Come down here and say that? ;-)

Looks as though we might have a problem and you are part of it. :shock:

How many groups of transients from other countries have refused to speak English in the past?

If we are to assimilate in to one nation, we must at least be able to speak the same language!

Like I said... teach them english and see what happens. They will learn it on their own. No need to rush it... they will become Americanized soon enough (lazy, fat, needy).

The best workers I have ever seen were Mexicans (before being Americanized) and college students.

learning a 2nd language is probably a good thing, but i still think if you come to this country to work, you need to learn the language. if i went to another country to live and work i sure as hell would learn that language the best i could

Ho boy! Why do I not keep out of it.

I don't think I've ever met a Mexican laborer who was not friendly, hard working, honest, willing to learn, etc. And they eventually learn to speak english.

I think where this was going was the issue of border security and I'm all for border security - to keep out the towel heads carrying 40 pounds of C4 and a small nuke, not the starving people of South America. Oh, my. Did I say towel heads. I guess that's just about as bad as saying the "M" word describing Hispanics that somebody used above or the "N" word describing black Americans. Well, too bad.

Latest posts