Daikon radish

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Anyone tried these for strip grazing and to loosen up the soil? Extension Agent recommend them. Thinking of trying them on a couple acres to test. Over seeding them into short thin grass.

I will let you know soon. I can get it for less than $3 a lb delivered from Hancock Seed. I have decided to try a couple acres. Overseed and use a chain drag over it.

I've planted them for a food plot. Grew well, but not sure they really did much for the soil. Most of the radish seemed to be above the ground. And man do they stink after they start to rot.

Be sure the competition is very little. Mine came coated and were too big for the small seed box and too big for the big seed box to get the right rate. They do stink in the spring if winter doesn't take them out early.

People can eat them as well. They have a crisp mild taste, even though they are so large. Try them. Evidently I had a few seed mixed into a bag of fescue seed and ended up with some in my yard. Looked too good and had to try them. Better than the garden varieties.

I overseeded some last year.....just saw a few here and there.

I plant them in my food plots. If your ground is hard packed at all I'd renovate before hand. They like loose soil to do well

I used them as a cover crop on virgin unbroken ground for garden this last year. They did very well, had some inch thick roots. Planted them in March. Watermelons did great in that spot. I just broadcasted the seed after I smothered the grass out. Came up thick. Maybe too thick.

ClinchValley86 said:
I used them as a cover crop on virgin unbroken ground for garden this last year. They did very well, had some inch thick roots. Planted them in March. Watermelons did great in that spot. I just broadcasted the seed after I smothered the grass out. Came up thick. Maybe too thick.
Where did you get the seed?

Tried them last year. As previous fellow said they seem to want a clean soil bed because I didnt get good results.

I got the seed from King's agriseeds but I think co-op has some and the food plot guys also use it.

dave_shelby said:
Tried them last year. As previous fellow said they seem to want a clean soil bed because I didnt get good results.

I got the seed from King's agriseeds but I think co-op has some and the food plot guys also use it.
So you suggest that it won't do good if I graze close, seed and maybe pull a chain drag over it? That was what I was considering but seed at a higher rate. Only a couple acres so even if it fails I haven't lost much.

I had a mat of red clover and dead annual rye I was drilling it into. Sounds like you are in better shape. I'd try it but then I experiment more and pay the price.

Another issue I have is that most of my soils are frederick-poplimento. Its a mixed soil that constantly changes between loam and clay so hard to set the drill for both.

kenny thomas said:
Anyone tried these for strip grazing and to loosen up the soil? Extension Agent recommend them. Thinking of trying them on a couple acres to test. Over seeding them into short thin grass.
Elbon rye is said ti help loosen compacted soil.

https://greencoverseed.com/product/1049/

hurleyjd said:
kenny thomas said:
Elbon rye is said ti help loosen compacted soil.

https://greencoverseed.com/product/1049/
That looks good also.

I ran out of time to plow and disc this year. I know with other brassicas that always proves to yield the best. But this year I just mowed, sprayed, and then seeded. Only one small rain since so still waiting to see what happens. It'll be a big time saver if it works, but I suspect I'll be back to plowing and discing next year.

kenny thomas said:
I ordered 2 25lb bags from Hancock Seed today. Little less than $3 a lb delivered.
That's still $18 to $20/acre in blend. But even with crimson clover you are at the same range of price. I hope it does the trick.

I sowed the radish on Labor Day. It's up big but even though I tore it up with the chain drag the native grass and fescue is thick. I can see lots of radish tops though. Maybe by mid November I can graze it some

Latest posts