D@m Grasshoppers

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
My poor "weed" garden is being over run with grasshoppers, they have demolished my shallots, leeks, potato plants, arugula and now are eating all the green beans . :mad: The only thing they do not seem to touch is the beets . :???:

Will diatomaceous earth sprinkled on all of the plants take care of the stupid hoppers ? I would rather let them have my garden than spray chemical .

A time or two I've been known to grab a lawn chair and a six pack, and get revenge by turning the chickens into the garden.

DE will kill them if they get enough on them but I've never been able to get enough on them to stop the problem until after the damage is done.
Semaspore works better and has residual effects that spread out from where you put it and knocks down the total population. It is not a poison. You could drink the stuff and it wouldn't do much more than gag you.
The problem with both products is that in order for them to work there has to be grasshoppers present and if they are present, the damage is done. Semaspore(i have no idea if I'm spelling it correctly) works well for knocking the population down season long IF you use it at the very beginning of the season.

hillsdown":qe1pr79k said:
My poor "weed" garden is being over run with grasshoppers, :
There are more than a few cattlemen out here that have suplemented their income in exactly the same fashion as you seem to be doing. It's not for me but your gardening secret is safe with me. ;-) I admire you for thinking well enough of your customers to got the organic route. Some of the safest pesticides known to man will kill you in a heartbeat when they go up in smoke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cow pollinater":178b1uid said:
hillsdown":178b1uid said:
My poor "weed" garden is being over run with grasshoppers, :
There are more than a few cattlemen out here that have suplemented their income in exactly the same fashion as you seem to be doing. It's not for me but your gardening secret is safe with me. ;-) I admire you for thinking well enough of your customers to got the organic route. Some of the safest pesticides known to man will kill you in a heartbeat when they go up in smoke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol2:

LMAO CP, I mean actual weeds not wacky tobacco . :oops:

I think I can get the DE right on the hoppers ,and then hopefully when the veggies have it on them the hoppers will not want to eat it. I do not want to spray anything as I have pets whom mean the world to me and we are poisoning them enough with everyday stuff they do not need to be subjected to more crap.

We really only have a few more weeks of garden season left anyways but I want to savor every last fresh veggie I can.

Thanks CP and Ouachita i will let you all know how it goes . :tiphat:

Latest posts