Cutting Hay Pasture Before Weed Kill

Help Support CattleToday:

BennettFarms1911

Reaction score
Good afternoon fellow haymen/cattlemen and/or women etc, :help:

I have a hay field that me and my brother are trying to develop in Rosharon, TX :hat: . We planted it in coastal (sungrazer 77) last May but we did not do weed kill. We were told not to weed kill on a newly planted field. Now we are in the process of getting ready to weed kill and I am wondering if we should mow the pasture first with our brush hog or simply apply the weed kill? Will mowing help kill the weeds? Or should we simply just apply the weedkill without mowing? What types of weedkill products do you sugges using on Dallas grasses, briar patches, and a whole lot of other stuff that I don't know whats out there? Also if anyone has ever produced hay in this type of soil (a very rocky hard soil) I would like to hear from there on their experiences and suggestions. I would appreciate feedback on this if you can.

God Bless America ! :clap:
God Bless Texas! :cboy:
God Bless Everyone! :wave:

Spray it with Grazon Next or an equivilent that does not have a waiting period to cut for hay or graze. No need to mow it this early. It would be too early for me to spray right now but you are alot farther south so may be seeing summer weeds already. I usually wouldn't start spraying or fertilizing summer grass until mid April. Get a soil test and fertilize to its recommendations.

I would use Surmount. It works well on briars. As mentioned there is no need to mow and you probably need to wait a couple more weeks. If the briars are blackberries, wait until they flower.
By the way, welcome to the forum.

BennettFarms1911":2m55bzqt said:
Good afternoon fellow haymen/cattlemen and/or women etc, :help:

I have a hay field that me and my brother are trying to develop in Rosharon, TX :hat: . We planted it in coastal (sungrazer 77) last May but we did not do weed kill. We were told not to weed kill on a newly planted field. Now we are in the process of getting ready to weed kill and I am wondering if we should mow the pasture first with our brush hog or simply apply the weed kill? Will mowing help kill the weeds? Or should we simply just apply the weedkill without mowing? What types of weedkill products do you sugges using on Dallas grasses, briar patches, and a whole lot of other stuff that I don't know whats out there? Also if anyone has ever produced hay in this type of soil (a very rocky hard soil) I would like to hear from there on their experiences and suggestions. I would appreciate feedback on this if you can.

God Bless America ! :clap:
God Bless Texas! :cboy:
God Bless Everyone! :wave:

Just spray with grazon but what do I know I went to Rosharon to get a wife.
Used to tear the dance's up at Iowa Colony.

Latest posts