Cutting back

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This came out today, I guess this is why the boss tells me I'm doing a P poor job of cutting back on the size of the cow herd! I hope he doesn't read the journal or this post! :D

AMERICAN ANGUS ASSN. ANNOUNCES
THE TEN FLORIDA BREEDERS WHO
REGISTERED THE MOST ANGUS

The 10 producers who registered the most Angus beef cattle in the state of Florida recorded a total of 718 Angus with the American Angus Association® during fiscal year 2019, which ended Sept. 30, according to Mark McCully, Association chief executive officer.

The 10 top recorders in Florida are:

Southern Cattle Co, Marianna
Jason Jerkins, Bristol
Journey Circle M Ranch, Howey In The Hills
Gizmo Angus, Molino
Big Timber Cattle Co, Lithia
Country Oaks Angus Ranch, Weirsdale
Van Wagner Cattle, Citra
The Thomas Six Ranch, Bell
Leroy Baldwin, Ocala
L Hubert Hightower, Waukeenah

Angus breeders across the nation in 2019 registered 304,577 head of Angus cattle. "Despite a challenging year, our Angus breeders continue to see strong demand for Angus genetics," McCully said. "Our members are committed to providing genetic solutions to the beef cattle industry that maintain our long-held position as a leader in the beef cattle industry."
ANGUS MEANS BUSINESS. The American Angus Association is the nation's largest beef breed organization, serving nearly 25,000 members across the United States, Canada and several other countries. The Association provides programs and services to farmers, ranchers and others who rely on Angus to produce quality genetics for the beef industry and quality beef for consumers. For more information about Angus cattle and the Association, visit www.ANGUS.org.

I suspect I might be a couple years older so I know my days doing this are getting short. But I really don't know if I can plan how to STOP. It might just occur as a result of circumstances that are unplanned perhaps even unpleasant.

Congratulations

Bright Raven said:
I suspect I might be a couple years older so I know my days doing this are getting short. But I really don't know if I can plan how to STOP. It might just occur as a result of circumstances that are unplanned perhaps even unpleasant.

Congratulations
[/quote

About the same if you were planning to retire at 65 and they lay you off at 62. You rearrange your life to fit with the new arrangement. Do not believe that you can work to 65, 67,or 70 as the financial advisors advise you some thing might come up that bites you in the butt and you have to adjust to a new life.

I'm surprised at how few Angus are registered in Florida but then I guess the Bos Indicus breeds and crosses predominate.

While Angus are used in Northern Australia to help improve the grading of the Brahmin cattle they mostly source their bulls from further south so I guess the situation is comparable.

Ken

The boss really has been after me to cut down the herd size, we have had a rough year health wise and when that happen it makes you realize that you can't continue forever. I honestly am trying to cut back some but I just don't seem to be very good at it. We are blessed that we have someone that wants to carry he operation on and hat has a passion for the cattle. I know the day is coming when we won't be able to continue but I'm not done yet. I am working on my breeding for next year and still get excited that this will be the year we breed the perfect cow or bull. Ken, Florida has a whole lot of cattle but the majority have some ear, which makes perfect sense in our environment. Angus bulls are used pretty heavy to improve carcass traits, but I would never try to tell a customer our straight Angus can hold up in the heat like the Brahman cattle can it just isn't the truth. Our Angus cattle do pretty good in the heat but we have had to cull hard over the years to develop a herd that works.

Gizmom

Latest posts