cut calf

Help Support CattleToday:

redfish

Reaction score
I have a 500 pound calf that has a cut on its neck wear the part hangs and sticks down in front of its front leggs. Its torn open about 5 to 7 inches. It is bleeding a little bit. It doesnt seem to be bothering him but i want to know the best way to treat him.

redfish":2y2ilva4 said:
I have a 500 pound calf that has a cut on its neck wear the part hangs and sticks down in front of its front leggs. Its torn open about 5 to 7 inches. It is bleeding a little bit. It doesnt seem to be bothering him but i want to know the best way to treat him.

Duh...a 5 to 7" cut/gash? Probably needs some stitches. And, perhaps an antibiotic. If it is just a "thin" cut, and hasn't penetrated the hide, put some Betadine on it and give an antibiotic shot when Vet is available. If the cut is all the way through the hide, definitely needs stitches (or other Vet recommended treatment) and seen by the Vet.

P.S.: When you say "bleeding a little bit" makes me wonder if it is just not a superficial cut or deep "scratch".

Infection is probably what you need to worry about the most. How old is the cut? Is it deep, or superficial? A good antibiotic salve might be all it needs, depending on his depth.

Rule of thumb is...any cut open longer then 12 to 24 hours is no longer a candidate for suturing due to risk of closing wound full of pathogens, thus heavy infection.

treat the wound with topical dressing to keep it as clean as possible, that is after you have debrided any trash from it. a good gel, or barrier product will do nicely.

Latest posts