custom grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

KHereford

Reaction score
Whats the rate for custom grazing in your area? I heard a dry cow is $1.25 a day in western Kansas. Would $2 a day for a cow and calf through the summer be to much?

I thought the same thing at first. But we sold alot of 550 pound steers for over $900 (1.64). At $2 for 6 months (180 days X $2 = $360), and if you have no pasture at home and have to buy hay the other 6 months, one cow eating 30 pounds a day or about 3.75 1500 pound bales at $50 a bale = $187.5. Total cost is $547.5, take that out of the $900 calf and your still left with $352.5. Thats alot of room for minerals and other things.Im not sure what all the care intails and I know prices will not be this good for ever but could be a option for the next couple years.

KHereford":mpd4j9hz said:
I thought the same thing at first. But we sold alot of 550 pound steers for over $900 (1.64). At $2 for 6 months (180 days X $2 = $360), and if you have no pasture at home and have to buy hay the other 6 months, one cow eating 30 pounds a day or about 3.75 1500 pound bales at $50 a bale = $187.5. Total cost is $547.5, take that out of the $900 calf and your still left with $352.5. Thats alot of room for minerals and other things.Im not sure what all the care intails and I know prices will not be this good for ever but could be a option for the next couple years.

2 dollars a day is too high. i guess its all relevent to what is available but thats the same as people feeding that high priced hay. if you looking for just someone who might come in and run for a year and pull out the next than you might get it. but knowing the same person is comeing back with cows every year and thier check is good and they aint going to complain about every little thing is worth some money in itself isnt it.
around here it varys but you can figure 30 no matter what. Now if renting tribal ground it is every one bidding against each other so 30 is about the minimum bid they will accept. you rent buy the acre some is a 15 a acre min bid others is a 12.5 acre min bid. takes just under 12 acres to run cow calf here. on top of that 30 per month for tribal ground you will have to fence it supply all your own mineral make sure water is on there and watch your own cows and you have to be bonded if you want it more than 1 year at a time. the max is 5 year lease. in winter time the price goes up obviously. 40 would put them out though. you see some poeple herre giving 40 a month to run during summer them but they want you to watch them they will supply everything else. but 2 dollars a day is at least 60 a month and no one here is going to pay that. cause if you paid it year round it would be 720 a year to run it. and if you only ran it for 6 months you would still have to pay trucking to haul them to a place that wants 60 a month to run them. again might find some but wont find many and sure wont be long term.

Latest posts