Custom grazing?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I've been approached by a local who wants to put cattle on our farm. Here is his offer in paranthesis:
($25/cow/month; $35/cow-calf/month; xtra for running them through the chute for anything.(AI; synchronizing; worming; etc) Xtras such as minerals, hay, grains would b on me.)
I've never done this and would like advice from people that have. We currently have no cattle and we're going to get a load of steers or heifer in about a month but don't have to. He didn't mention anything about death loss.

The money is in the ball park for grazing with full care. The cost of the extras being on you would not be normal from what I see. That would especially apply hay or other feed.

For that price I would also assume it includes care. Best to have contract so both parties understand what's expected of them.

I usually figure $100-$125 per pair per year on rented land is all I can afford for grazing expense. $3000 for 30 pairs plus a bull. If I get a place cheaper than that, I can spend some on spraying or fertilizing. Bush hogging once a year and keeping fences up is on me. Hay, feed and mineral is on me. I don't want to feed hay more than 100 days.

Oh! I might have misunderstood. I was thinking it sounded like a lot, but If you're providing full care including bush hogging and feeding hay, yeah that sounds more reasonable.

Latest posts