Curious

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Photos posted of steers at shows have prompted yet another question about the differences between Australian and American shows. Its regarding nose clips (aka dogs, bugs etc). Here any animal over 9 months I think (used to be twelve) must have a nose clip when being shown in the ring, and technically this rule also applies to whenever the animal is not restrained, moving around the shed, leading to and from wash bays, etc. I just noticed that in some of the photos posted, the steers were shown without nose clips.

We don't use them unless they are neccessary. I put one in my steer for about 3 weeks to teach him who is boss, he now walks fine without one.

never had one in any of my steers. most people around here only use them on bulls, not sure if its required or not though for shows

Can't speak for other breeds, but Longhorn shows require a bull to be ringed. Steers are optional. We also cannot show a bull after 2 yr. old.

There are no rules requiring "bugs" for steers. That is strickly a control choice by the owner.
Most fairs require bulls either "born before 1-1 of current year" or bulls "over 6 months of age" to have a nose ring.

Depends on the show. Steers are not required to have anything but a halter. As for bulls, Local fair -- Four States Fair -- 12 months, Miller County fair -- 12 months, and Arkansas State Fair -- 6 months.

At our local show we can't use a breaking halter, have to use a neck tie/rope, and any bulls shown over the age of 8months i thinkhacve to have a nose ring.

AT all of our shows and fairs no one ever uses anything on their steers either they can control them with just a halter or they don't bring them at all

rimranch":108nh5p3 said:
AT all of our shows and fairs no one ever uses anything on their steers either they can control them with just a halter or they don't bring them at all
Same here -or- thats what the rules of our county shows say. I wish they would actually abide by these!! We had a kid come in with a steer that was covered in mud clods, and got away from the kid and ran around the barn practically killing people. anyone have a situation like this at your fair or local show? :?:

One steer was alowed to come to our fair that the girl could only control from horseback. She would lead him with a halter while she was mounted. to show in market they put four halters on him and tied him to the rail oh and the first day she tried to lead him in on the ground by herself and she got dragged and broke her foot.

Thanks for the replies, interesting to hear different ways of doing things. It's funny, cos I'm so used to leading with a nose dog, it actually feels like I've forgotten something when I'm leading them around at home without one.

We had a kid come in with a steer that was covered in mud clods, and got away from the kid and ran around the barn practically killing people. anyone have a situation like this at your fair or local show?

Actually I have been in this situation myself unfortunately. I had a little steer a few years ago who was very well behaved but had always been flighty. That particular judge was one that wore a head mike and commented to the public as he went around judging the class. Well the speakers made a crackle just before every time he spoke, and every time this happened, the steer and I shot off into the middle of the ring. It happened five times in my handlers class (turned out to be a good thing cos I got the champion) and three or four times in the hoof class (unfortunately he got marked down because of temperament). That was an interesting show!

Also I had an angus heifer once that we took to a show. To make a long story short, because of johnes statuses we were unloading at a mound, not down the ramp into the yards. This heifer got away, ran twice around the racecourse, jumped the fence out of the showgrounds and ended up on a bloke's farm. We drove the truck out there to pick her up, found out they only had sheep yards, but by then she had jumped a few more fences onto the neighbours property. Two hours after we had first unloaded her, we came back to the showgrounds, unloaded down the ramp into the yards and needless to say she didn't come out of the yards until we went home!

I was also curious about this.

Also from Keren's post it seems like it's a bit different up here, and I'm only a state away.

In Queensland all steers and females over 12 months have to have a nose clip. All bulls over 12 months must have a nose ring. Also up here we don't need to use the nose clip just generally walking the cattle around, ie around the shed, to washbays, water troughs.

For school we have many animals under 12 months however a nose clip is always used at the shows, just as an insurance policy for the less experienced handlers in the ring.

Keren with that steer, that's surprising that he was put down because of temperament, that barely happens up here, although sometimes they don't get shown off aswell and don't give the judge a chance to get a good look.

Here in my state we have to have nose rings in all bulls over 12 months. I know its the same as Bek as I show in her state.But you might as well put them in when you wean. I only use nose clips in the females. I don't like clips much as they are pressing on the nostril all the time so it does cause the animal some discomfort. A nose ring is just like a pierced ear. Just for control of the animal you need a ring.
Colin

Keren":y75rtswv said:
We also cannot show a bull after 2 yr. old.

What is the reasoning behind this? Is it the horns? Last year there was an angus bull shown here that was eight years old. We won grand bull a few years ago with a 4 yr old MG

That is a rule in our association. More to do with safety, I think, than anything else. At 2 yr. old they can get pretty rank when a heifer is starting to cycle.

d6cattleman":3u1v45mi said:
rimranch":3u1v45mi said:
Same here -or- thats what the rules of our county shows say. I wish they would actually abide by these!! We had a kid come in with a steer that was covered in mud clods, and got away from the kid and ran around the barn practically killing people. anyone have a situation like this at your fair or local show? :?:

A heifer last year got away from her owner. but get this the owner was wareing flip flops with little heels a mini skirt and carring her purse. i told her she didn't need to be out here in that and she wasn't to happy with me thorught the rest of the fair. :roll:

Keren with that steer, that's surprising that he was put down because of temperament, that barely happens up here, although sometimes they don't get shown off aswell and don't give the judge a chance to get a good look

Yeah I was very disappointed. He was a really thick little guy and spot on with fat measurements. The judge spent a lot of time looking at him, and by then he'd calmed down considerably, but the judge was too worried he would cut dark, so he didn't get placed. When the hook results came back the meat colour and pH was fine.

Australian Cattleman":1qtds1vv said:
Here in my state we have to have nose rings in all bulls over 12 months. I know its the same as Bek as I show in her state.But you might as well put them in when you wean. I only use nose clips in the females. I don't like clips much as they are pressing on the nostril all the time so it does cause the animal some discomfort. A nose ring is just like a pierced ear. Just for control of the animal you need a ring.
Colin

That's what we'll do at school next year, ring most of them, just cause a) like you said it's like a pierced ear and less stressful to the animal, and b) its a lot less time consuming and if they do get away and you really need to grab something you can grab the ring, as much as I don't like doing it.

Latest posts