Curiosity Question

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Our new MG bull hasn't developed a "long" winter coat like the other cattle have. I am wondering if this a breed characteristic, or something just to bulls? I know, what a weird question, but as I was looking at the cattle it was pretty noticeable how his coat is significantly different than all others.... When we had hereford bulls around, they would get the winter coat, maybe not as much as the cows and young stock, but still would. I realize that herefords are a much "hairier" breed :)

Thanks! Michele

mitchwi":2h3ntcrq said:
Our new MG bull hasn't developed a "long" winter coat like the other cattle have. I am wondering if this a breed characteristic, or something just to bulls? I know, what a weird question, but as I was looking at the cattle it was pretty noticeable how his coat is significantly different than all others.... When we had hereford bulls around, they would get the winter coat, maybe not as much as the cows and young stock, but still would. I realize that herefords are a much "hairier" breed :)

Thanks! Michele

I can't speak for MGs, but I think with Angus the hair is a bloodline thing rather than a breed thing.

We used a popular show bull one year, TC Stockman 365. His calves had lots of hair. We've used New Design 036 for years and never had a calf by him with very long hair. The cold weather never bothered them, though. Our gomer bull doesn't have long hair, but he hates winter. He'll stand behind the bale of hay to get out of the north wind, while even the slickest haired Angus will be out grazing.

Thanks - You are both probably absolutely correct, as I know I've seen some wooly looking MG's! :D

Galloways are even hairier than Herefords yet I have one that at this late date has less than half the hair of my others. She is almost as slick as an Angus.

in hot climates animals that get their wintercoat last and shed them first are usually the better adapted animals to your area and a valuable selection tool as it helps you select easier keeping animals for your farm.

our problems are ticks and drought and to a far less degree heat, so I don't know the first thing about cold and snow and windchill factors, but I assume the theory still stays the same.

Latest posts