Curing times

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
On the average, I know, different conditions call for different measures, but as a rule if you will. How long is everyone letting coastal cure before bailing? Three days for us, hopefully no rain, lots of sun and hot days.

I cut on day one, fluff on day two and bale on day three unless I'm cutting T44 then I cut and bale the second day.

Usually cut then rake/bale 2 days later. Depends on weather though, but that is the average. Sometims will cut one day rake next then bale on 3rd day.

like to bale on the third day but here in western Ohio the weathermen do such a sorry job it turns into a crapshoot every time we cut. :help:

Ideal for me is to cut one day, fluff the next, and then bale the following day. But, at times we cut one day and bale the next.

alot depends on the type of grass an the time of year your cutting it.rye an clover takes 4 to 5 days to cure if you cut in mid april.an its hard to get cured because of the rain.costal an other grasses take 2 or 3 days to cure depending on how thick an hot the temps are.we have been known to cut today an bale tomorrow.

How bout pearl millet............anybody ever cut it? Heard it can take up to 4 or 5 days to cure. After cutting it anybody have problems with regrowth? Do the tires end up squashing the stalks that are left? We've cut way back on cows this yr. Got lots of grass and 12 acres of millet planted. Could easily get a cutting off of it instead of grazing it. Thinking about waiting till end of growing season and cutting then or maybe now let it regrow tall and thick, then be able to graze it for awhile at the end of the yr when grasses have slowed down.

On millet, I will cut it one day, let it lay a day, fluff it the third and bale the fourth day if I'm putting it up dry. Baleage, I cut it and bale and wrap the next day. (Be careful that the ground is not saturated with water as this will steam the millet and its really hard to dry. Conditions here are so dry I probably could bale in three days.)

critterair2":2yp0s2jo said:
On the average, I know, different conditions call for different measures, but as a rule if you will. How long is everyone letting coastal cure before bailing? Three days for us, hopefully no rain, lots of sun and hot days.

Cut one morning and roll the next afternoon if it does not have any crabgrass in it.

alabama":1gkbmf83 said:
critterair2":1gkbmf83 said:

Cut one morning and roll the next afternoon if it does not have any crabgrass in it.

I'm able to do this with alicia or tift 44 late in the year. I love it when I can do this. Just makes life more simple and less stressful.

Latest posts