culling

Help Support CattleToday:

There are several correct answers. You don't give nearly enough information. Considering the cost of replacements, I wouldn't cull one just because she missed one calf. Are you sure it's all her fault and none of yours?

I make that decision twice a year; in the fall when I preg. test, at that time I ship all opens. In the spring when I brand, I evaluate the cow that comes to the branding trap without a calf, if I suspect a problem or future problems they are sold. If it is a good cow, I will usually keep her. It also depends on the needed cashflow at any one point.

G&L Cattle":2r75eapb said:
We have two that were due to calve with the others and arent showing signs.

What do you mean by not showing signs? Not "looking" pregnant? Past a prospective due-date?
When you say missed calf is it beacuse the cow/heifer didn't settle? Slipped/aborted the calf?
For me, the decision to cull a cow due to a missed calf would be pretty much determined by why she "missed" having a calf. If it were my fault, no I wouldn't cull. If it were her fault,depending on "her" reason I may or may not cull.

Katherine

We allow 1 "mistake" every four years! If cow is open for the spring calving season we move her to the fall season; that way if there is a problem we've only lost 6 months.

i am not very forgiving, the only ones i might move to another breeding season would be heifers. unless it is my fault or the bulls fault, i had one that i sprayed and she got sick, i let her slide and she has been good ever since. most of the time they will miss again or lose a calf.

Workinonit Farm":13lq5ovj said:
G&L Cattle":13lq5ovj said:

What do you mean by not showing signs? Not "looking" pregnant? Past a prospective due-date?
When you say missed calf is it beacuse the cow/heifer didn't settle? Slipped/aborted the calf?
For me, the decision to cull a cow due to a missed calf would be pretty much determined by why she "missed" having a calf. If it were my fault, no I wouldn't cull. If it were her fault,depending on "her" reason I may or may not cull.

Katherine

Very good advice Katherine :)

Texan":30pr1wud said:
There are several correct answers. You don't give nearly enough information. Considering the cost of replacements, I wouldn't cull one just because she missed one calf. Are you sure it's all her fault and none of yours?

I have to agree with Texan not much info here and I cull for about anything, if you have doubts sell her somebody will make chili or dog food out of her.

Workinonit Farm":36gr5bo0 said:
G&L Cattle":36gr5bo0 said:

Katherine

Ditto...and also, I wouldn't be culling a cow just because it was a day or two past when you expected her to calve and there weren't feet showing yet. You can't go by how they "look" - I've seen a lot of open cows look big enough to carry triplets, and a lot of heavy bred cows not even show it. Have her palpated, find out if there is a calf or if there is not a calf, and then make your decision.

It is real tough to go on just looks. I had the vet out last week for some other stuff and decided to preg a couple of cows that got missed in the fall. The one that I thought looked bred was open and the one that looked empty to me was 6 monthes. One was a small framed cow with lots of gut and the other is a big framed cow with no gut.
Dave

Would yall cull that quickly if it were registered cows? Do the same culling rules that apply to 1000 $ cows , apply to 5000 $ cows?

No.. I rarely cull if a cow misses one calf, but obviously just my decision. With registered cows sometimes 1) you can't afford to replace the bloodlines, 2) She's had one or more good calves, so you know what she'll throw, so why not give her another chance?

JMO.

TheBullLady":rom7tx1d said:
No.. I rarely cull if a cow misses one calf, but obviously just my decision. With registered cows sometimes 1) you can't afford to replace the bloodlines, 2) She's had one or more good calves, so you know what she'll throw, so why not give her another chance?

JMO.

I will be doing it this way with the registered part of my herd. IMO you have to be careful though. Even if she's a $5000 cow, if she only has a calf every other yr, you don't want to perpetuate that kind of infertility into your seedstock. I suppose there is a fine line.

My biggest expence is winter feeding. I generally preg test everything in the fall. If they aren't bred at that time they get on the next truck to town. With my program it would be two years until I would have the next calf to sell. Two years of feed for one calf just doesn't pencil for me.
Dave

denoginnizer":1c79t3g4 said:
Would yall cull that quickly if it were registered cows? Do the same culling rules that apply to 1000 $ cows , apply to 5000 $ cows?
When I was breeding pedigree cattle, we culled heavily for any breeding related problems. The customer confidence more than paid for any loss of breeders.

i preg check in the fall and cull anything open. i agree i am not interested in slow breeders. i want heifers out of cows that are consistant year after year. i culled a cow this year, her mother was old and had a calf every year, the best cow i ever owned and i wanted heifers out of her, she came in heat every 21 days till sold her. they need to stick on the first time.

Latest posts