Cuckleburrs

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on how to eradicate cuckleburrs from a pasture...I have a lot around my stock tanks, which are stocked, and around my fence line. I can not get close enough to get them with a brush hog, and I'm not sure about spraying them with something that may harm the fish. Any suggestions? My livestock keep getting into them.

Those cockleburs are as nasty as the large sticker "sandburs".

Probably "best" solution would be to dig them up, and burn them. Labor intensive...yes. But, don't want those seeds to germinate. Also, could put down a pre-emergent herbicide to guard against the seeds germinating next year.

On a funny side... get a few sheep with winter coats...they are good cocklebur collectors... :roll:

jwggriff":3g8fe8ce said:
Anyone have any tips on how to eradicate cuckleburrs from a pasture...I have a lot around my stock tanks, which are stocked, and around my fence line. I can not get close enough to get them with a brush hog, and I'm not sure about spraying them with something that may harm the fish. Any suggestions? My livestock keep getting into them.

Glyphosate will kill them. Mix in your sprayer at a rate of 2 ounces/gallon of water and spot spray them.

msscamp":yh1khlzs said:
jwggriff":yh1khlzs said:

Glyphosate will kill them. Mix in your sprayer at a rate of 2 ounces/gallon of water and spot spray them.

So will 2,4-d.

The trick to ridding Cockleburrs is to kill them before they seed out.

Those seed can remain in the soil for years without germinating, then one day when you disturb the dirt they'll all sprout and deal you fits.

There are lots of "Pre-emergent" herbicides on the market today that work really well too.

Having any weeds at all now is a lack of management.

I know I'm guilty.

Use 2,4-D. Some formulations can even be used in ponds.

There are no pre-emerge herbicides labeled for pastures in Texas.

If it is not on/in the label, you can not use the product.

BC":gyn2hrir said:

Really?
I could have sworn a friend told me he used Direx 4L on Bermuda pastures and it's a pre-emergent.

BC":xcw3c57o said:

Grazon PD has a preemerge in it and it is cleared for pasture use.

MikeC":3mlfs0wo said:
BC":3mlfs0wo said:

Really?
I could have sworn a friend told me he used Direx 4L on Bermuda pastures and it's a pre-emergent.

I stand corrected. Direx 4L is labeled for new sprigged pastures only. It cannot be used in established fields for pre-emergence control.

hurleyjd":1un257pv said:
BC":1un257pv said:

Grazon PD has a preemerge in it and it is cleared for pasture use.

You are also right in the fact that Grazon P+D has some residual affect that prevents weeds from coming up. I think of a pre-emergent herbicide as something applied before a weed comes up that prevents its germination or kills it in the seedling stage - something along the line of atrazine which is not cleared for use in pastures in Texas.

dun":qvc17unz said:
msscamp":qvc17unz said:
jwggriff":qvc17unz said:

So will 2,4-d.

At what rate, and are you talking about amine or ester? I've sprayed cockleburrs with 2-4D - I can't remember if it was ester or amine - and had no kill rate at all.

msscamp":bvmkj8aj said:
dun":bvmkj8aj said:
msscamp":bvmkj8aj said:
jwggriff":bvmkj8aj said:

So will 2,4-d.

At what rate, and are you talking about amine or ester? I've sprayed cockleburrs with 2-4D - I can't remember if it was ester or amine - and had no kill rate at all.

I'ld have to go check the cabinet door that we keep herbicieds in. I have all of the mix rations written on the door. Ain;t gonna happen tonight, too cold out for my old bones. I've used both depending on the price. Couldn;t tell the difference, they both wiped out the cockleburrs. These were plants that were still growing and hadn;t started to seed out yet

dun":3lmo1lj9 said:
msscamp":3lmo1lj9 said:
dun":3lmo1lj9 said:
msscamp":3lmo1lj9 said:
jwggriff":3lmo1lj9 said:

So will 2,4-d.

I'ld have to go check the cabinet door that we keep herbicieds in. I have all of the mix rations written on the door. Ain;t gonna happen tonight, too cold out for my old bones.

That's ok, I completely understand. If you happen to think about it tomorrow, I would be interested in knowing the rate, though.

I've used both depending on the price. Couldn;t tell the difference, they both wiped out the cockleburrs. These were plants that were still growing and hadn;t started to seed out yet

That could be the difference - it was just this past summer that I was able to identify cockleburr's before they had seeded out. Thanks!

Latest posts