Cube loving cow!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
This is the first for me. While cubing and checking cattle I noticed one of our cows had two calf feet protruding from her rear.I couldnt believe what I was seeing. My first thought was she's having problems.But she didnt seem bothered at all. When the cubes were finished she walked over about 50 ft from the rest of the cows and proceeded to have her calf. I have never had this to happen before. I'm still amazed. :shock:

Cal

My cows refuse to calve till they have had their evening meal. Most of the time you can see them in labor while eating. Then when the food is all gone they walk over the hill and drop a calf. Ain't never had one eating with feet sticking out though.

Calman":zbc55j69 said:
6 babbies so far and all little bulls.

Cal

I have an old Brangus girl that is old enough to vote and has never had a heifer. I would like to retain one from her, got one due next month maybe a surprise.

When I use to run cattle they always seemed to know what you wanted, and throw the opposit. I have an awsome Holstein cow. She was my show heifer, and nurse cow for years. Every calf over the years was a bull. I wanted a heifer so bad out of her, she was the best nurse cow I had ever had. I bred her to several different bulls over the years. I never got a heifer before I lost her.

The year that feeders steers were high I got over 80% heifers. The year I wanted to cull cows, and keep heifers, I got mostly bull calves. Never fails.

marksmu":44h5iurf said:
Were halfway through calving season, so far 19 bull calfs and 1 heifer....its like they know we want to retain heifers...

Seriously though, what are the odds of 19 and 1? They are pretty slim!
Odds about the same here with 17 heifers and 2 bulls.

kenny thomas":2o8e8bqj said:
marksmu":2o8e8bqj said:
Were halfway through calving season, so far 19 bull calfs and 1 heifer....its like they know we want to retain heifers...

Seriously though, what are the odds of 19 and 1? They are pretty slim!
Odds about the same here with 17 heifers and 2 bulls.

Now twins. I hate twins and guess what, she took the small heifer and left the bigger bull calf. Sold him this morning. Yes, I hate twins.
Also the cow has not cleaned yet. I hate twins. :mad:

13 th calf born today,and the first heifer. :clap:
Although had to take the shotgun to the dam mexican buzzards, It was her first calf and she was about wore out circiling around fighting off the buzzards.She done great though.
I shot 2 with one shot from a 20 gauge and the rest took off in a fast flight.
Did I ever mention I hate those dam things. :mad: :mad:
3 first time angus mommas and all is well.

Cal

Calman":1aq87nc2 said:
13 th calf born today,and the first heifer. :clap:
Although had to take the shotgun to the dam mexican buzzards, It was her first calf and she was about wore out circiling around fighting off the buzzards.She done great though.
I shot 2 with one shot from a 20 gauge and the rest took off in a fast flight.
Did I ever mention I hate those dam things. :mad: :mad:
3 first time angus mommas and all is well.

Cal

Just a heads up for you...I agree with you taking the shotgun out on the buzzards 100% but the game wardens, and the USFWS have restrictions on killing them. Currently is illegal to kill one even when it is killing your livestock.

I got an update from the cattlemans association (I think it was the cattlemans, it could have been another publication) on this problem last year. People had been calling game wardens wanting to kill/trap/whatever these awful birds when they are attacking new born calves, and were told that under no circumstance was it legal to kill them. Some even got $10,000/per bird fine for shooting them.

The article said they are awful....that they harass the mother until she either tramples her calf dead or becomes separated from it, once separated they eat the eyes out of the calf and when the mom returns she no longers accepts the calf....I would kill them too, I just dont think I would post the evidence online.

Lucky for me, I am yet to see them get aggressive in my area. Right now everyone is burning and they are everywhere picking on the freshly cooked _______ (fill in the blank)

I didn't say anything about killing them. I made them go away and the calf and momma are unharmed.

Cal

Latest posts