Cryptoid got to my mares. help

Help Support CattleToday:

grulla

Reaction score
Uh Oh! I have a partially gelded 2 1/2 yr old... short version of story: bad vet attempted to geld, cut the sack, slit the skin around the larger testicle, couldn't get the smaller one, gave up said he was too hot (duh! Florida in the summer)...wait a couple more months, then try again..Regualr vet came off vacation, saved my horse by cutting decaying parts out, cussing other vet...too much swelling and infection to get to smaller teste which had slipped back up...am waiting for cooler weather since horse will be out for some amount of time to cut out other teste which is still retracted.

Barn still damaged from Hurricane Charley...cryptoid, proud cut, gelding/stud managed to get out, penetrate & ejaculate...what is the chance that my mares are bred?

If your stud did all that it woud be pretty good, If just happened you should call your good vet and have them aborted if you don't want them. I believe they have a shot for mares, but if it's like dog or cattle shot to abort it can get pretty bad for the mares. I'm not sure if horses have a abortion shot or not, I beleive its more common to ultra sound and go in apinch the fetus off as they do with a twin.

Alan

my daughter bought a colt 6 months old 3 years ago : he was in pretty rough shape might (have been bottle fed )and hooves needed clipped bad anyway most of the colts went from $1000.00--$2500.00 that day .she paid 100.00 anyway she has papers for him and he is 1/2 quarter horse and 1/2 thoughbred My question: is this common ? That is I thought only purebred animals had papers . Also he was never castrated , he has bred 3 mares who never got in foal could a fever or something, when he was young caused him to go sterile Oh! and he turned out to be a beautiful big very quiet horse---thanx

The shot for the mares will be least expensive, unless your vet is VERY CHEAP on ultrasound (or you are a close friend) If that testicle is way up in him he "shouldn't" be impregnating. The shots aren't that bad on the mares (does cause a bit of sweating and cramping in some) but they will also bring the mares back into estrus so be sure if you go that way to keep that cryptocrid seperated.

Carlos D.":1toj9why said:
my daughter bought a colt 6 months old 3 years ago : he was in pretty rough shape might (have been bottle fed )and hooves needed clipped bad anyway most of the colts went from $1000.00--$2500.00 that day .she paid 100.00 anyway she has papers for him and he is 1/2 quarter horse and 1/2 thoughbred My question: is this common ? That is I thought only purebred animals had papers . Also he was never castrated , he has bred 3 mares who never got in foal could a fever or something, when he was young caused him to go sterile Oh! and he turned out to be a beautiful big very quiet horse---thanx

He could be an "appendix" QH, which means they are part TB and would have papers. If he is big and quiet and can't settle mares there is a good chance he is sterile.

Alan

If the testicle is not droped, the semen will be dead, it will be to hot to survive. If it has dropped the semen is good.Give her a shot of lutilice,( spelling ?) same thing you give cattle to bring them in heat to AI them, It wont hurt her, It will make her sweat and act like she colicing. It will also make her come back in heat. The shot will run about twelve dollars, at the vets office.

oscar p":21r2mjwl said:
If the testicle is not droped, the semen will be dead, it will be to hot to survive. If it has dropped the semen is good.Give her a shot of lutilice,( spelling ?) same thing you give cattle to bring them in heat to AI them, It wont hurt her, It will make her sweat and act like she colicing. It will also make her come back in heat. The shot will run about twelve dollars, at the vets office.

I'm not familar with the shot for horses, but sounds like the same reaction that a dog or cow would have. I'm familar with the sever cramps involve with the shot. The difference being "acting like it's in colic" or does it have a chance to send the mare into colic? I would be more worried about my horse going into colic than the cost of ultrasound (around here about $35) total Vet cost around here would probably be $70 if I hauled her to the vet, any vet would provide an estiment over the phone. And no side effects, although, she will start to cycle again as she would with any method of abortion.

JMO
Alan

I've never had one to actually colic, They juct kinda get the symtoms of colic, I have three Mammoth Jacks we stud out to the public to raise Mules, We give mares the shot regulerly (with owners concent) To bring mares in heat. When people dont know when their mare comes heat, Folks don't like to pay $5 dollars a day mare care,the shot is cheaper,when it can be 18 to 21 days before they come back in heat.

oscar p":djbv17c6 said:
I've never had one to actually colic, They juct kinda get the symtoms of colic, I have three Mammoth Jacks we stud out to the public to raise Mules, We give mares the shot regulerly (with owners concent) To bring mares in heat. When people dont know when their mare comes heat, Folks don't like to pay $5 dollars a day mare care,the shot is cheaper,when it can be 18 to 21 days before they come back in heat.

After checking the shot out a little more I have to change my mind and agree with you Oscar, I would still keep a eye on my mare that day. But acording to other horse people I know and my "trusted" vet it seems okay.

Alan

Talked to my vet..he assures me that because the testicle is retained, that the semen is too hot to be viable...so even though he thinks he's "all that", he is sterile...anxiously awaiting cooler weather to take care of that other little problem..he's starting to act real studdy.

Latest posts