CRP information

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
If a fellow wanted to learn every in and out of our governments CRP program and various other conservation programs- where would he go to find a "bible" so to speak

Thanks.

Soil conservation folks should have the "bible". Problem will be all the addendums and changes. The seem to change the rules and wording very regularly so you would have to read the thing first then read the addendums in the order they were put out. This could be very confusing hence is problably the reason there are so many different interpretations on what you are and are not supposed to do.

Around here most of the FSA people think it is their duty to keep everything secret so you may have to ask lots of questions.

cornstalk":vpgd9z7x said:
If a fellow wanted to learn every in and out of our governments CRP program and various other conservation programs- where would he go to find a "bible" so to speak

Thanks.

In the 80's I did a stint with the SCS(precurser to the NRCS). The county I worked in (NW corner of MN) had really great folks working in both offices (SCS and FSA). They really bent over backward to get the info out to the farmers that they needed. I would go to your local offices to begin with and than talk with you neighbors that are enrolled. I'm not sure what the new farm bill will have available for new enrollees, but those folks should answer all your questions and load you up with tons of reading material.

Good Luck

cornstalk, I signed up for CREP, thinking it would be a good thing, but after getting into all the confusion and ambiguity, I paid the penalty to get out. Those folks would make the IRS look simple.

I found the best "bible", was to talk to everyone I could in the area that had dealt with it before.

I heard more negatives than I thought I would.

I'm glad I backed out.

farmerdude":1gskzxnl said:
cornstalk, I signed up for CREP, thinking it would be a good thing, but after getting into all the confusion and ambiguity, I paid the penalty to get out. Those folks would make the IRS look simple.

I found the best "bible", was to talk to everyone I could in the area that had dealt with it before.

I heard more negatives than I thought I would.

I'm glad I backed out.

Yeah I did the same thing with costshare for crossfencing and water lines. I was pretty interested and talked with the folks for a couple hours, they even came out for a preliminary meeting/ looksee. Then he printed out 32 pages of fencebuilding requirements of what was/was not allowed to be a 'proper' fence and I said 'no thanks' and signed an opt-out.

Figured out really quick that even though they offer 50% cost share on some of that stuff it was going to cost me AT LEAST THREE TIMES what I originally planned on spending to do it 'their way' so I'd be money in the hole doing it their way and STILL have them coming out to do 'inspections' for the next 20 years... no thanks....

Do it my way, how I want to do it (what I can afford) and don't have to answer to anybody about it. Not locked in and if want to take a crossfence down and plow it up and plant cotton or grain again (nuts I know, but if calves went to 30 cents a pound again or something...) I don't have to worry about getting fined or answering to anybody...

A free lunch is seldom free... OL JR :)

Latest posts