Crossbreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62

Reaction score
If I was to want to crossbreed using black angus and polled hereford, would I want hereford cows and angus bull, or angus cows and hereford bull?

your choice...i know herford breeders that use their cows with angus bulls and i know angus breeders that use their cows and herford bulls...i would probably use angus cows and herford bulls, but if i found a good deal on a set of good herford cows i wouldn't mind going that way either...angus cows would probably cost you more to buy, blah blah blah you could go on and on about the pros and cons....

Jim62":jf527kl0 said:
If I was to want to crossbreed using black angus and polled hereford, would I want hereford cows and angus bull, or angus cows and hereford bull?

Looks like to me either would work. I want to use an angus cross for a while myself. Some folks put a Simmental Bull on Angus cows. I already have the simmental cows so I'm going to try an Angus Bull ?

fitz

Either way, BUT, usaully you can get some pretty good Hereford cows for a lot less then the equivelent angus cows.

6 of 1,half dozen of the other--except the Angus usually sires a smaller birthweight so being easier on the cow.
To me,live calf,live cow is a good thing..

Central Texas.

I already have the angus cows, but was thinking I should change over to hereford cows. Are herefords (especially bulls) generally pretty docile and easy-going? The disposition is what I like about the angus cows--no problems tagging calves, etc.. That's also why I don't want any brahma influence on the place. Been there, done that, and I'm a pretty quick learner. :lol:

My thinking is that crossbred calves will be better doers than straight angus. :cowboy:

If you already have to cows just use a Hereford bull. One of the traits that are praised about Herefords are their disposition. Too me it's a wash. I've seen nut case Herefords and gentle as lamb angus and Red Angus. One of the gentlest bulls I ever saw was a Brahman. That all said, it depends as much or more on the animal as it does on the breed.

Jim62":73jxidj5 said:
Central Texas.

I already have the angus cows, but was thinking I should change over to hereford cows. Are herefords (especially bulls) generally pretty docile and easy-going? The disposition is what I like about the angus cows--no problems tagging calves, etc.. That's also why I don't want any brahma influence on the place. Been there, done that, and I'm a pretty quick learner. :lol:

My thinking is that crossbred calves will be better doers than straight angus. :cowboy:

I'll drink to that. Around us It is just hard to find good hereford cows for the same price you can angus. We have a number of good size F1 tigerstripe breeders around so it is hard to catch a good group of herefords without having to pay up for them. Not a whole lot of price difference but the herefords will probably cost you a couple hundred more than the angus. I guess it could also be less demand for full angus becasue of the heat.

I've got a hereford bull on some angus cows and havn't had any problems....yet... Never going to say never. ;-)

In Texas it can get kind of hot. I don't know how much real difference there would be, but I would rather have hereford cows. But since you already have angus cows probably just stick with them rather than to go to expense of changing cow breeds.

I agree there are easy and crazy animals in any breed. I have had individuals from both breeds try to do me in. But I think overall the Hereford is less "volatile" than Angus.

Most certainly go with the cross rather than straight bred. Go for the heterosis.

I personally think it depends on who raised the animal more than the breed of animal that determins disposition. Thank You

Jim62":2fywp7ot said:

Maybe. But crossbreeding isn't magic either. It depends on what you start with. If you crossbreed sorry animals, they will probably produce better calves than themselves, but they may not be as good as some straightbred calves.

oadkins":2i58ej0x said:
I personally think it depends on who raised the animal more than the breed of animal that determines disposition. Thank You
Maybe more accurate is their environment and their interaction with humans.

I can go into the pasture with my truck or tractor. Get out and walk amongst them and they stay calm with not problems. But take a walk thru the pasture and they are on alert and start heading the other direction. They just aren't accustom to someone without the vehicle. If cattle are only worked on horseback it works much the same way. They are accustomed to the man and the horse and no problems arise. But working them on foot is highly stressful for them because it is different from what they are used to.

Frankie is right. There is certainly a place and importance for breeders of straight bred cattle, breeders of crossbreds depend on them to maintain standards that we can benefit from in a cross bred herd. BUT, since you are asking about what cross ~ hereford cows and an angus bull.

In this climate, Herf cows absolutely. We've been lucky with fairly mild summers that last few years.

Latest posts