• normal

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • doesn't really matter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
n504483834_1234666_9807.jpg

Fair is in 2 weeks and he is about half clipped out. He just came out of clipping school end of july so he didnt need much work. He is around 875 now although that is a guess i will weigh him tommorow.

I think the flank will fill out as the steer gets closer to being finished. He appears to have allot length, this also may make the flank look higher. He needs about 400 more pounds on him and he will look great.

VCC":2v4gy8ng said:
I think the flank will fill out as the steer gets closer to being finished. He appears to have allot length, this also may make the flank look higher. He needs about 400 more pounds on him and he will look great.

We are judging the steer as he is now, not what he could be. Besides getting him to gain 400 lbs for the show in two weeks is pretty unrealistic.

Chipster, yes we are supposed to be judging the steer as he is know, but as you evaluate cattle you also are looking at what they are going to look like when they are finished. I did not believe that the show in a couple of weeks would be his final show, not at 875 pounds, If that is the case then there are more issues to worry about than the steers flank. He does not appear to being even close to finished, there are no fat deposit in the tail head or the brisket, I can only guess but I doubt his ribs have very much if any cover over them.

I know when we evaluate a project calf we try and select one that will meet the market requirements at finish weight not at 600 pounds.

March 21 is his last show and it is at the OKLAHOMA YOUTH EXPO(worlds largest junior show) So that is were we will see what he is made of. We are not even near starting to finish him out. he is still growin.

He is as staggy as he will get now. He will only soften up and his muscle will be proportional to his size in 6 months. Just my opinion

iowahawkeyes":e1a6whkw said:
What's his age? I think he'll look pretty staggy in 6 months. :???:

I have to agree....you have 6 months and 3 weeks to the youth expo and he is already weighing 875 lbs and if he only gains 3 pounds a day that will put him over 1,500 lbs. I may be wrong but I would bet the youth expo champ will weigh between 1250 and 1350. So somewhere along the weigh you will have to shrink him back and then try to put some cover on at the end. That practice can not be good from a carcass stand point.

This is exactly what I was referring to in my "prospect steer" post.

He is being held back now. he just gets around 15 lbs. a day. and has a gain about 1.5 to 2lbs. a day. (if my math is right) he gets 4 coffee cans a day

Snider_Angus":206p8tdu said:
He is being held back now. he just gets around 15 lbs. a day. and has a gain about 1.5 to 2lbs. a day. (if my math is right) he gets 4 coffee cans a day

This is the part that doesn't make any sense to me about what we are doing with show steers today. If you were looking to raise a steer to eat or hang on the rail he should be eating almost 20lbs a day and gaining 3+ pounds a day and he would finish at 1250 lbs in about 3 to 4 months from now and grade out choice or better.

With this club calf deal I'm not sure we are teaching our youth anything about raising beef to eat.

Latest posts