Crossbred Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
I have some cows that are angus crossbreds. I think they have a lot of dairy in them. They are finer boned with less muscle than you would see in a purebred beef breed. They are heavy milkers. The average weight is 850-900 lbs. Would it be better to sell these cows and get larger, beefier cows or would a different type bull produce beefier calves? We are now using an Angus bull.[/b]

Do you have calves out of this cross with the Angus bull yet? Actually, the calves should grow out very well, especially with them having the extra milk that they would get from the dairy influence. If these cows are black you might try using a Hereford bull on them as well. Black baldies are premium around here.

Mosho":2b07xr8y said:
I have some cows that are angus crossbreds. I think they have a lot of dairy in them. They are finer boned with less muscle than you would see in a purebred beef breed. They are heavy milkers. The average weight is 850-900 lbs. Would it be better to sell these cows and get larger, beefier cows or would a different type bull produce beefier calves? We are now using an Angus bull.[/b]
850-900 heavy milker are what some folks would kill for . what frame are they ? what part of the country are you in that makes a difference too? you could breed up with a good beef breed

Since they are heavy milkers as you say do not sell them just put a real good Char bull on them and watch their calves grow and grow!! Like ALACOWMAN said you have the kind of cows a lot of folks would kill for! The only problem I can forsee is if you do not have the grass for heavy milkers.

Thanks for the replies. We have had calves out of these cows and the Angus bull but we have been disappointed in the calves. The bull probably weighs 1800-1900 lbs. He is long bodied but a little lacking in the hips. We have about 75 acres of bahia grass and we feed bahia hay in the winter with minerals and range cubes.

Put a continental bull on them - one that has a good butt.

The fiance likes holsteins, has 2 holstein cows, and the others are 1/4 or 1/2 holstein and he breeds them to angus bulls every year and the bull calves are lacking a butt. He has mostly black calves though.

I couldn't believe it.... I at least got him to agree on a charolais/angus cross bull (and believe me it will be red angus crossed with charolais if we go that route) or else a hereford bull that has length and width.

There is a fella who rents pasture from the mentor who has black angus cows and he crosses them with a red limo bull. Gets black calves that look nice and grow well.

Latest posts