crossbred calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Lon

Reaction score
We have a neighbor that raises bucking bulls. Every year his a few of his brahma bulls get out and breed other peoples cows.I am sure you can imagine that they get upset cause then they have a few half dozen or so calves every year in each place that get cut off the rest when sold and they take a nice dock on the calves because of the brahma influence. Now when i help one of these guys get roundup and wean every year, he does tend to get the most brahma influenced calves, the calves that are brahma influenced outweigh the rest of the calves by alot year after year. I mean a very noticable amount. Now he typically has a f1 baldy bred to black sim bulls i believe.
Is this typical with brahma influenced calves. Do they tend to have the growth more like a char or something terminal like that. Or is it because of the difference in the breed and just heterosis at work here.

Taurus":26wc2hlv said:
Bucking bulls may be brahma influenced but they often have other breeds in them.

So chances are has nothing to do with the brahma in them at all then? For the calf size i mean.

Lon":3d0h7w3z said:
Taurus":3d0h7w3z said:
Bucking bulls may be brahma influenced but they often have other breeds in them.

So chances are has nothing to do with the brahma in them at all then? For the calf size i mean.
Honestly I don't know what is their bulls' background since most bucking bulls are not purebred brahma but I do noticed it too when I saw some rodeo bull sired calves at a rodeo ranch, these calves were big and they were out of highland cows.

I know 3 people that raise bucking stock. All three have some pretty high percentage longhorn. I've always assumed for longevity and avoiding feet and leg problems. I'm usually loaded and gone by the time the bull riding starts. I've never really paid a lot of attention to the bulls, but it seems to me most of them have a little longhorn in them. Surely they aren't getting big weaning weights off of them.

Bigfoot":3574hhkm said:
I know 3 people that raise bucking stock. All three have some pretty high percentage longhorn. I've always assumed for longevity and avoiding feet and leg problems. I'm usually loaded and gone by the time the bull riding starts. I've never really paid a lot of attention to the bulls, but it seems to me most of them have a little longhorn in them. Surely they aren't getting big weaning weights off of them.
I was told that most of bucking bulls are Brahman Composite x Longhorn crosses. That said, the rodeo stock has morgelized as they are selected for bucking trait mainly.

Latest posts