cross-legged walk

Help Support CattleToday:

mystery74

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a large calf walk cross-legged and do they ever get over it? this calf came out of a 2000lb. swiss and he weighed 150lb. when he first stood he looked bull-legged we questioned it when we were buying him, the man told us because of his size, he was cramped and he would get over it. now 7 months later his back legs walk right in front of the other, I cant stand it, and he cant walk like that for the fair, so im hoping someone else out there has had this and in the end hoping that when he gets bigger he will fill out and get better :help:

If he is 7 months old and still walking like that I don't think he is going to come out of it. When we have calves that are crooked at birth they usually come out of it in the first month or two, and you should see some improvement within a week to two weeks.

I kinda figured it, although sometimes he doesnt do it, i guess i have to come to the fact my daughter just wont be able to show him next year, other then that he is a beautiful calf, thank you again

That is too bad. Always make sure the conformation is there before anything else. It sucks to get ones hopes up when something like this happens. Good luck....

Frequently the one hind foot in front of the other is an indication of a hip problem. But if he's alwasy done it the problem was there from the start and short of making freezer filler out of him I don;t know anyway to cure it.

dun

how can I tell if its the hips? when i line all our calves up they all look the same, he was a nice large wide spread calf very tall, he has been sick for some time, right now he is on medicine, but today because he is feeling better he was not crossing his legs, he was to busy pushing me into a wall and playing which that was nice to see since he was sick for sometime, everyone that sees him has never seen this problem, and knew if I asked some of the more experienced people out here someone would have to have seen this, so if there is a way to tell about the hips let me know, but sight wise i see nothing different.
Now my second question is: how long can he last if he has a hip problem? is he like a dog and will eventually not be able to walk or can I get alot more weight on him he is about 500# now

It sound just like what happened to my little angus bull. I bought him when he was 6 months old. I noticed he was walking was alittle funny looking. So I thought he would out grow it. I sold him when he was 10 months old . I didn't take him to the vet or anything. So i don't know what causes it, I just know it was getting worse the older or heavier he was getting. Best of luck to you

Joy in Texas":2bvg3f9q said:
It sound just like what happened to my little angus bull. I bought him when he was 6 months old. I noticed he was walking was alittle funny looking. So I thought he would out grow it. I sold him when he was 10 months old . I didn't take him to the vet or anything. So i don't know what causes it, I just know it was getting worse the older or heavier he was getting. Best of luck to you
Thats what i am afraid of , I am going to keep him a little longer and hope for the best hell i have done just about everything else for him :lol:

I have seen this in twin holstein bulls. The one twin being completely normal and the other walking like this. At the time I thought that maybe the dam stood on the one by accident and that he should heal after a few weeks, but sadly he never improved much, but as he got heavier he struggled to get up after lying down for a while and in the end it was just not worth keeping him any longer...he was destined for the freezer anyway.

Don't think you will ever be able to show your bull though, although I've seen some pretty crooked legs at birth turn out to be completely normal by the time the calf is two months old. This usually happens when first calvers have very large calves, but as soon as the tendons and muscles in the legs strengthens they pull the legs into a normal position

mystery74":2iqcgjdu said:
Now my second question is: how long can he last if he has a hip problem? is he like a dog and will eventually not be able to walk or can I get alot more weight on him he is about 500# now

Bear in mind that, since he is having trouble walking now, it will probably only get worse as he gets heavier.

Latest posts